Two siblings in the Twin Cities were sickened after coming into contact with raw ground turkey food fed to their pets.
They fell ill in January with salmonella poisoning, but one of them went on to develop a serious bone infection, osteomyelitis, that required hospitalization.
They are now recovering at home.
What was the dog food?
The family in question were feeding their pets Raws for Paws Ground Turkey Food for Pets.
Minnesota's health and agriculture departments found readings of the same strain salmonella in samples of the food in question, which was produced on Oct. 12, 2017 and sold online through the Raws for Paws website.
The company has issued a recall notice for its one and five-pound sealed plastic tubes (known as chubs) with case codes of 9900008 and 9900009.
They are also packaged into Pet Food Combo Pack cases with case codes 99000014 and 99000015.
You can find the recall notice here, courtesy of the FDA.
What to do if you have some in your home
Customers who purchased the pet food directly from the company were notified of the recall, but some may not realize that the pet food they have in their home is included in the recall.
The FDA says any affected food should be returnd to the company, or discarded and not used.
If you bought pet food since Oct. 12, 2017 and are unsure of the lot number, best to return it or discard it rather than use it.
The Minnesota Department of Health also suggests "pet dishes, floors, and the area around the feeding station should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Salmonella bacteria can survive for weeks on surfaces in the home, which can serve as a continuing source of infection."