Recharging laptop cause of Woodbury house fire

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Fire investigators say they believe a laptop that was recharging on a couch sparked a fire that caused significant damage to a Woodbury home on Tuesday, Fox 9 reports. No one was home at the time of the blaze and no one was injured.

"I had no idea what would have started the fire," homeowner Cheri Rose told Fox 9. "I don't leave things plugged in usually. I never would have thought of the laptop. That was not even crossing my mind. "

Woodbury Fire Commander John Wallgren said there is a potential danger when a laptop is left on a bed or sofa and the machine's cooling vent is blocked.

"I can tell you, I'm guilty of it, too. These laptops are like a book. We throw them on the bed or couch. We need to be a little more aware of electronics," Wallgren said.

Fox 9 cites Department of Public Safety State Fire Marshal Division data that indicate electronic devices were factors in 53 fires between 2007 and 2011, including six caused by computers and one by a computer monitor.

Firefighters saved two treasured Harley-Davidson motorcycles that belonged to the homeowner, the Woodbury Bulletin reports.

Next Up

Related