Report: Fargo tops list of 'drunkest American cities'

Author:
Updated:
Original:

America has a drinking problem, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The report finds more than 38 million adults drink too much, although the same report indicates most are not alcoholics.

Many of those drinkers are found in the midwest.

Bustle just placed Fargo, North Dakota on the top of its "10 Drunkest American Cities" list. No Minnesota cities made the list, but a majority of the cities on the list are in the midwest.

Bustle's 10 Drunkest American Cities

1. Fargo, North Dakota

2. Columbus, Nebraska

3. Missoula, Montana

4. Ft. Collins, Colorado

5. Brookings, South Dakota

6. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

7. Lawrence, Kansas

8. Tallahassee, Florida

9. Bozeman, Montana

10. Lincoln, Nebraska

To create the list, Bustle used numbers from the CDC of the percentage of adults who binge drink and those who drink heavily in major cities around the United States.

The CDC defines binge drinking as five or more alcoholic drinks for men or four or more for women in "one occasion." Heavy drinking is defined by the CDC as more than one drink per day for women and two for men.

The CDC says 28.2 percent of those in the Fargo-Moorhead area binge drink, while 9.6 percent drink heavily. The total is 37.8 percent of adults drink too much.

By comparison, other Minnesota cities in the study are pretty similar. In the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area the CDC says 23 percent of adults binge drink, while 7.8 percent of adults drink heavily, for a total of 30.8 percent of adults who drink too much.

In the Duluth-Superior area 23.8 percent of adults binge drink and 7.5 percent drink heavily for a total of 31.3 percent.

According to the Guardian, binge drinking is a contributory factor in many illnesses, including liver disease and infections. It is also the main cause of accidents in the home.

The CDC also says alcohol is also linked to around 88,000 deaths in the United State every year.

Next Up

montana cutbank

Charges: Man shot victim 'without provocation' using sawed-off shotgun

The incident happened on Nov. 24 in Ten Lake Township, located in Beltrami County.

Governor Tim Walz

Watch live: Walz, first responders address Minnesotans

Some departments have been forced to shift staffing or suspend service due to COVID-19.

covid-19, coronavirus

CDC says COVID-19 quarantine period can be cut to 10 or 7 days

You can come out of a 7-day quarantine following exposure provided you've had a negative test.

maple grove fire

1 person found dead inside Maple Grove business that burned down

A person had been unaccounted following the fire that destroyed Hanson Implement and Storage Tuesday night.

One-dollar bill, cash, money

Appeals court rules MN high school students can get unemployment benefits

They've been denied the benefits, and some were even asked to pay them back.

covid-19, coronavirus

Dec. 2 COVID-19 update: 77 more deaths in Minnesota

The death toll is closing in on 3,700 in Minnesota.

City Pages

Fan creates City Pages archive, Star Tribune tells him to remove it

After word spread that the defunct newspaper's website would go down, a fan created his own copy. Then he got a cease and desist letter.

Adam Thielen

Vikings activate Adam Thielen off COVID-19/reserve list

The star receiver missed last week's victory over Carolina.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.27.14 AM

Naked man shot by St. Paul cop is charged for sexual assault of ex-girlfriend

The 31-year-old suspect remains at Regions Hospital after being shot.

Lindsay Whalen

Whalen's Gophers start season with only 7 players available

Whalen isn't happy that a transfer wasn't granted immediate eligibility to play.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.21.08 AM

Baby steals the show in Minnesota family's viral TikTok video

Definitely busting out that wobbly baby move at the next party...

Related

Minnesota is surrounded by 15 of the 20 drunkest cities in America

Mankato is the only city in Minnesota listed in the top 20.

Fargo no longer among "drunkest cities"

Fargo held the No. 2 spot on the "drunkest city" list in 2010, but apparently has since sobered-up. However, North Dakota's capital city, Bismarck came in at No. 20. Boston was named the "drunkest city" for 2011, according to the latest Daily Beast report.

Minnesota is one of the drunkest states in the country

Not nearly as bad as North Dakota and Wisconsin, though.