In the days after Prince died, three pharmacists in Indiana – who hadn't treated the music superstar – used an online database to try to look up his prescription history.
That's from The Associated Press, which says all three were reprimanded with either ethics training, community service, and/or a fine. According to the AP, they used an online database in late April of 2016 (set up for pharmacists and doctors) to try to look up Prince's confidential medical history.
A report from The Herald Bulletin about one of the pharmacists says it's unclear if she was actually able to access Prince's prescription history.
An autopsy determined Prince died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a powerful synthetic drug that’s used to treat pain. An unsealed search warrant also claimed Prince was prescribed oxycodone – a different painkiller – under the name of his longtime friend and confidante.
The use of fentanyl – which is considered to be the more deadly cousin of heroin and can be fatal in doses of just 2 mg – has been on the rise, causing concern among safety officials.
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension has seen a rise in the amount of fentanyl cases, with 76 cases of fentanyl submitted to its laboratory in 2016 compared to just 14 cases in each of 2014 and 2015.
20,000 Americans fatally overdosed on it in 2016, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.