Skip to main content

Review of clergy files leads to Archdiocese putting two priests on leave

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Two Twin Cities priests are on leave while allegations of inappropriate contact with minors are reviewed.

The Catholic Spirit reports the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis took the step based on a consultant's review of clergy files. That review flagged several incidents of "boundary violations" by the Rev. Mark Wehmann and a single incident by the Rev. Joseph Gallatin, the Spirit says.

The archdiocese issued separate statements about Wehmann, who has been pastor at St. Boniface in Minneapolis since July, and Gallatin, who has been at the Church of St. Peter in Mendota since 2008.

The archdiocese says law enforcement had previously been notified of the incidents involving Wehmann and determined no crimes had occurred. The statement says authorities were recently notified of the remaining incidents. In Gallatin's case, the archdiocese says the consultant determined there was no criminal act, but also notified law enforcement.

As the Star Tribune reports, both men remain priests but will be involved in no public ministry during their leaves.

Each priest announced his leave to parishoners from the pulpit Sunday. KSTP reports Gallatin said the allegation against him dates back more than fifteen years. The station quotes Gallatin as saying "God is in charge and if Jesus wants me as his instrument, he will bring me back."

The archdiocese has spent the last few months responding to various reports of sexual misconduct by priests. Two weeks ago, Archbishop John Nienstedt apologized for the church's failures in its handling of the cases. Since then, Nienstedt himself has taken a leave while police investigate a claim that he inappropriately touched a boy in 2009. Nienstedt says the allegation is false.

Next Up

Mall of America

Mall of America to celebrate 30 years with events, giveaways throughout 2022

The festivities will kick off Friday with a '90s-themed drag show.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.29.00 AM

Victim of 1994 Michigan cold case murder ID'd as missing Minnesotan

Shelley Rae Kephart went missing from Hennepin County more than 28 years ago.

walz flanagan lorie shaull flickr

Gov. proposes 'Walz Checks' for most Minnesotans

The governor wants to use $700 million of the state's surplus to fund the payments.

Hutch crash booking photo

Walz, Flanagan call on Hennepin Co. sheriff to resign

"I would say that it is time for him to resign," the Lt. Gov. said.

line 3 enbridge portage lake hubbard county mn tony webster flickr

Months after missing deadline, Enbridge says Line 3 aquifer breach is fixed

The company told Bring Me The News it "successfully stopped the flow of groundwater" at the site.

canada bodies found

Baby, teenager among 4 found dead along MN, Canada border

Authorities believe all four froze to death.

unsplash roller rink skates CROP

Former roller rink, tennis courts will become new sports hub

The Wooddale Fun Zone has been closed since spring of 2020.

hibachi daruma

Popular hibachi food truck opens second Twin Cities restaurant

The much-anticipated Daruma opens for takeout Thursday evening.

20211128_Vikings_49ers_REG12_0144 (1)

What changes are coming to the Vikings' offensive line?

Once again, Minnesota has work to do to figure out its interior spots

Kris Ehresmann

One of Minnesota's key COVID-19 leaders is retiring

Kris Ehresmann has given more than 30 years of her life to public health in Minnesota.

summit beach park orono

Plan to develop Orono park on hold after Daytons object

The Dayton family donated the land to the city for the park in the 1970s.

Related