The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is no longer.
This comes after dozens of reports of the Note 7 starting on fire – and then the company getting additional reports that the supposedly safe replacement devices were also exploding.
“Taking our customer’s safety as our highest priority, we have decided to halt sales and production of the Galaxy Note 7,” the company said, according to the Wall Street Journal.
The New York Times says the downfall of the Note 7 is a major setback for Samsung after the device earned high praise from consumers and reviewers prior to the fire issues, and was aimed at taking on Apple's iPhone 7.
The Galaxy Note 7 sold for between $850 and $890 in the United States starting in August, but reports of battery problems quickly surfaced. By Sept. 15, Samsung had received 92 reports of the batteries overheating, including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.
This prompted Samsung to recall 2.5 million Note 7 devices last month, and issue replacement devices. But those, too, were having problems, so on Monday, Samsung urged anyone with the phone to shut it off and stop using it immediately.
And on Tuesday, the company went even further, putting an end to the Galaxy Note 7 saga for good. This could cost Samsung $9.5 billion in lost sales, CNN Money notes.
If you have one of these devices and want a refund, you can contact your cellphone carrier or the store where you bought it, and if you have any questions, contact Samsung directly. For more information on the recall, click here.