Skip to main content
Updated:
Original:

Showers, thunderstorms Sunday; cooler, wet week ahead

Author:

Grab your umbrella and rain boots, we're in for a soggy week.

Saturday was the last dry day for awhile, the National Weather Service says. Expect rain and cooler temperatures starting Sunday and lasting through next week.

Highs throughout the week will be near 50 degrees for the Twin Cities with overnight lows near 40 degrees, KARE 11 says.

Sunday's rain also caused the Minnesota Twins game against the Detroit Tigers to be postponed. No makeup date has been scheduled, according to the Twin's website.

It won't be all rain, though. A winter storm watch is in effect for parts of northern Minnesota from Sunday evening through Monday morning. Ice could accumulate, but amounts will vary. The highest ice accumulation amounts are expected to be from Clouquet to Duluth to near Finland, the weather service says.

Thankfully the skies are supposed to dry out by the weekend and temperatures are expected to be warmer, according to MPR News' Updraft blog. Temperatures could return to the 60s and possibly 70s by next weekend and into the following week, MPR notes.

Here's the forecast around the state:

Twin Cities: Sunday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, high near 49 and breezy. Rainfall amounts expected to be around quarter of an inch, with another half inch or more overnight. Monday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm, high near 48 and breezy. Rainfall amounts expected to be around a quarter of an inch. Tuesday: Showers likely, cloudy with a high near 43. Wednesday: A 40 percent chance of showers, cloudy with a high near 47. Thursday: A 50 percent chance of showers, cloudy with a nigh near 49. Friday: A 20 percent chance of showers, mostly cloudy with a high near 52. Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mostly cloudy with a high near 57.

Moorhead: Sunday: Occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm, high near 46. Rain expected overnight. Monday: Rain with a high near 44, quarter of an inch possible. Tuesday: A chance of rain throughout most of the day, but there's also a possibility of snow in the early morning and overnight. High near 48. Wednesday: A chance of rain and snow before 1 p.m., high near 45. Thursday: A chance of rain, high near 50. Friday: A slight chance of rain, high near 54. Saturday: Slight chance of rain, high near 56.

Duluth: Sunday: A slight chance of freezing rain and sleet on and off throughout the day, high near 36. Monday: Freezing rain and sleet, then rain after 7 a.m. High near 36. Tuesday: Rain, snow and sleet likely, high near 38. Wednesday: Rain and sleet likely before 1 p.m., then snow and sleet likely. High near 40. Thursday: Chance of rain and snow, cloudy with a high near 41. Friday: A chance of rain and snow, high near 45. Saturday: A chance of rain and snow, high near 48.

Rochester: Sunday: Showers likely with the possibility of thunderstorms, high near 49. Monday: Rain with thunderstorms, high near 51. Tuesday: Showers likely, high near 47. Wednesday: A 40 percent chance of showers, high near 48. Thursday: A 50 percent chance of showers, high near 50. Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers, high near 54. Saturday: A 40 percent chance of showers, high near 56.

Marshall: Sunday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, high near 51. Monday: Chance of showers and thunderstorms, high near 51. Tuesday: Rain, high near 45. Wednesday: Chance of rain, high near 46. Thursday: A 40 percent chance of rain, high near 50. Friday: A slight chance of rain, high near 54. Saturday: Partly sunny, high near 58.

Next Up

940 Margaret St, St Paul, MN 55106, United States - May 2019 (1)

4-year-old girl struck by hit-and-run driver in St. Paul

The girl was struck by the driver around 5 p.m. Monday.

Minneapolis police

Baby found safe inside car that was stolen in south Minneapolis

The incident happened near 32nd Street and Chicago Avenue around 7 p.m.

Anthony Edwards

Ant puts on a show to help Timberwolves beat Pacers

A third-quarter surge gave the Timberwolves their seventh win in their past eight games.

Mikko Koivu

Wild to retire Mikko Koivu's No. 9 jersey

Koivu will be the first player in franchise history to have his number retired.

Boebert-Omar - Flickr Gage Skidmore

Rep. Boebert refuses to apologize for Islamophobic comment toward Rep. Omar

A phone call Monday between the two lawmakers ended abruptly.

Patrick Peterson

Vikings place Patrick Peterson on COVID-19/reserve list

The Vikings cornerback said he was vaccinated in August.

flickr - thin ice warning - USFWS Midwest

'Numerous' reports of eager anglers falling through ice

Conditions are still unpredictable, and can vary even across a single body of water.

covid

Minnesota health officials watching closely for omicron variant

Health leaders do not yet know how transmissible or severe the new variant is.

school bus stop pixabay

School bus driver charged in fatal hit-and-run will plead guilty

Another motorist told the driver to call 911, but he instead got on the bus and drove off, charges say.

Franconia Sculpture Park - Lorie Shaull - Flickr

5 outdoor destinations to explore around the Twin Cities

There's something for everyone on this list of overlooked spots.

Child mental health counseling

As pandemic continues, so do efforts to improve child mental health access

Children's Minnesota has announced it will open its first inpatient mental health facility for under 18s.

Dalvin Cook

Mixed reports on Dalvin Cook's injury status

The Vikings running back could miss two games...or he could play Sunday.

Related

Very wet week ahead with much cooler temperatures

Bouts of heavy rain are possible Monday-Wednesday.