Media reports tie suicide bombing in Somalia to Minneapolis man

Media reports say a 22-year-old Minneapolis man is one of two suicide bombers who carried out attacks in Mogadishu. They quote a U.N. official who says friends and family identify the man on an audio tape recorded But MPR finds friends of the missing man who say it does not sound like him. U.S. officials have not yet confirmed the bomber is American.
Author:
Publish date:

Militants in Somalia say an American is one of two men who carried out suicide attacks in Mogadishu. News reports say he is a 22-year-old Minneapolis man who disappeared from Minnesota in 2008. He's believed to have left to join the terrorist rebel group al-Shabab and is wanted by the FBI.

The reports are based on word from Omar Jamal, an official with the U.N., who says friends of the man identify him on an audio recording posted on the website Somalimemo.com. The site is often used by al-Shabab to distribute messages.

U.N. officials have not identified the bomber yet. MPR reports other friends of the man say the audio recording does not sound like who Jamal says it is. MPR has previously reported that while Jamal is readily used by media sources, he is considered a controversial and divisive figure among Minnesota Somalis.

If the reports are correct, the bomber would be the third American killed while fighting in Somalia.

Next Up

Related

Minneapolis VA faulted for suicide policy lapses

The Minneapolis Veterans Medical Center was "deficient" in its handling of a suicidal Vietnam War veteran who killed himself while under the agency's care last year, according to a critical report into the man's death by the national VA office that investigates wrongdoing, the Star Tribune reports.

Student arrested in St. Francis HS bomb threat

School officials say students and faculty were secured in their classrooms after reports came in of a bomb being placed somewhere in the school.The student was not identified but faces charges of making terroristic threats.

Oakdale bank evacuated after bomb threat; man arrested

A man who arrived at an Oakdale bank Wednesday on a white motorcycle approached a drive-through window, delivered a bomb threat to a teller and demanded to speak to "federal agents," the Pioneer Press reports. He was arrested and the bank was evacuated. A bomb squad officer brought out an object he delicately placed in a bomb disposal container.