Officials name suspect killed by police during New Hope City Hall attack - Bring Me The News

Officials name suspect killed by police during New Hope City Hall attack

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

Authorities have confirmed the identity of the suspect involved in the New Hope shooting Monday night, in which two police officers were struck before the gunman was fatally shot by officers returning fire.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner says that 68-year-old Raymond Kmetz, from Belle Plaine, Minnesota, died from "multiple gunshot wounds" after he opened fire during a meeting at New Hope City Hall.

It comes after the Star Tribune reported earlier on Tuesday that his son, Nathan Kmetz, had identified his father as being the one who was shot and killed by police.

KSTP says "family members" confirmed the same information, and FOX 9 had learned the same.

The injured officers have been confirmed by police as Officer Joshua Eernisse and Officer Beau Shoenhard, who were attending a swearing-in ceremony at City Hall when the shooting occurred.

Officer Eernisse has been with the New Hope Police Department for a year and was one of those being sworn in last night, while Officer Schoenhard has been with the department since 2008.

Raymond Kmetz

Reports are now digging into the background of the 68-year-old Kmetz.

WCCO reports family members say he had medical issues. According to KSTP, he had been in and out of mental hospitals in recent years.

In a 2013 comment on Minnesota Lawyer, a poster who identifies himself as Nathan Kmetz said his father, Raymond Kmetz, is not mentally ill despite the civil commitments.

"I am pleading for someone to help my father," he wrote. "Hennepin County has had him under civil commitment for 5 years now. My father is NOT mentally ill. ... The courts have kept this case going in circles Ray has undergone the procedures and testing 5 times now. Please put this to rest and let Ray get on with his life!"

He also details a number of evaluations and rulings over the years.

FOX 9 describes him as a man who was difficult for city officials and police officers to deal with. The Star Tribune says he is described as having "a history of threats of violence."

Here is video of Kmetz speaking at a New Hope City Council meeting on Aug. 11, 2014.

This embed is invalid

A 2011 ruling details an incident with police in which he claimed an officer unlawfully used a Taser against him. The judge, citing video evidence, disagreed and dismissed Kmetz's suit against the officers. (Click here for the ruling.)

Next Up

Related