Sorry runners: The Minneapolis Marathon has been officially canceled

Author:
Updated:
Original:

The Minneapolis Marathon has been canceled.

The race, along with the half marathon and relay, were scheduled for June 5, but Team Ortho, which organized the race, announced Wednesday afternoon they were forced to cancel them.

"We understand that you have worked very hard to prepare for your race. Our goal is to host running events that provide people with the motivation to train, prepare and lead active, healthy lives. We know this cancellation is a disappointment to you and disrupts your plans and your running life. We apologize for both the disappointment and the disruption."

Roughly 2,400 runners were registered for the marathon, according to reports. And many were disappointed and frustrated with the news, posts on the event's Facebook page show.

Those registered for the race are being offered full refunds or the chance to apply the race fees to another Team Ortho race. Click here for more information.

Why was it canceled?

Because of permits.

Team Ortho, which organized the race, said last week it wouldn't be able to hold the race on the original course because of bridge construction because it couldn't secure permits for the course.

Jennifer Ringold, deputy superintendent of the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, told Runner's World that it informed race organizers in August that there were problems with the course – it ran along West River Parkway, which has been closed for two years, and over Franklin Avenue Bridge, which is under construction, MPR News said.

Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board spokesperson Dawn Sommers told MPR News that it denied the permits because Team Ortho failed to finalize a route "despite our attempts to work with them to get a route and other details confirmed."

The permits were denied May 16, Runner's World says. And Team Ortho looked for alternatives, but weren't able to establish a new course by June 5, organizers said.

This isn't the first time Team Ortho has canceled or changed an event. According to Runner's World and the Star Tribune, organizers canceled a duathlon last August, and have been criticized for changing start times and racecourses on short notice, among other things.

Team Ortho has held 61 events over the past five years, according to the company's website.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.55.05 PM

Small plane lands on northbound I-35W in Twin Cities

A large police presence is at the scene.

Plainview

Judge orders Minnesota gym that defied shutdown to close

Attorney General Keith Ellison sued the gym after it remained open.

montana cutbank

Charges: Man shot victim 'without provocation' using sawed-off shotgun

The incident happened on Nov. 24 in Ten Lake Township, located in Beltrami County.

Governor Tim Walz

Watch live: Walz, first responders address Minnesotans

Some departments have been forced to shift staffing or suspend service due to COVID-19.

covid-19, coronavirus

CDC says COVID-19 quarantine period can be cut to 10 or 7 days

You can come out of a 7-day quarantine following exposure provided you've had a negative test.

maple grove fire

1 person found dead inside Maple Grove business that burned down

A person had been unaccounted following the fire that destroyed Hanson Implement and Storage Tuesday night.

One-dollar bill, cash, money

Appeals court rules MN high school students can get unemployment benefits

They've been denied the benefits, and some were even asked to pay them back.

covid-19, coronavirus

Dec. 2 COVID-19 update: 77 more deaths in Minnesota

The death toll is closing in on 3,700 in Minnesota.

City Pages

Fan creates City Pages archive, Star Tribune tells him to remove it

After word spread that the defunct newspaper's website would go down, a fan created his own copy. Then he got a cease and desist letter.

Adam Thielen

Vikings activate Adam Thielen off COVID-19/reserve list

The star receiver missed last week's victory over Carolina.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.27.14 AM

Naked man shot by St. Paul cop is charged for sexual assault of ex-girlfriend

The 31-year-old suspect remains at Regions Hospital after being shot.

Related