St. Anthony cops identified; protesters march into the night


The St. Anthony police officers at the scene when Philando Castile was fatally shot Wednesday night were both four-year veterans of the department.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety identified them Thursday as Jeronimo Yanez and Joseph Kauser.

According to the statement it was Yanez who fired the shots, though the reason is left vague. It says the officers made a traffic stop at 9:05 p.m. at Larpenteur Ave. and Fry St. in Falcon Heights. It says:

"Officer Yanez approached the vehicle from the driver’s side and Officer Kauser from the passenger side. At one point during the interaction, Officer Yanez discharged his weapon, striking Castile multiple times. No one else was injured. A gun was recovered at the scene.

Officer Yanez radioed a request for an ambulance. There were two passengers in the vehicle, Diamond Reynolds and her juvenile daughter.

Additional responding personnel from the Roseville Police Department and St. Paul Fire Department removed Castile from the vehicle and provided medical attention until the ambulance arrived. Castile was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Law enforcement personnel transported Reynolds and her daughter to the Roseville Police Department, where Reynolds provided a statement to investigators about the incident. Afterward, a Roseville police officer brought Reynolds home."

On Thursday evening, protesters demonstrating the shooting of Castile marched through St. Paul, blocking light rail trains.

As of 11:30 p.m. the protest had made its way to near the scene of Castile's shooting, with reports on Twitter saying a crowd is blocking traffic on Larpenteur Ave. at Snelling.

Minnesota's evening protests were peaceful, though. That was not the case in Dallas, Texas, where police officers were killed during a demonstration. According to the Dallas Morning News, police said snipers opened fire at transit police.

Next Up