St. Paul advocate for sex-abuse victims to file suit in Rochester against Boy Scouts

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A lawsuit is set to be filed Monday in Rochester against the Boy Scouts of America, the Gamehaven Scout Council and troop sponsor St. Piux X Church in Rochester.

Jeff Anderson, a prominent St. Paul attorney in sex abuse cases, will hold a press conference Monday regarding the suit, according to a press release received by BringMeTheNews.

The release, which names the accused molester, claims that the filing will be the "first civil lawsuit involving the Boy Scouts of America filed under the new Minnesota law eliminating the civil statute of limitations for children who are sexually abused and allowing a 3-year window for past victims of childhood sexual abuse to file lawsuits against their perpetrator."

As the Star Tribune reports, the suit is being filed on behalf of two former members of Troop 210 who claim they were abused in the 1970s by the molester, who now lives in Faribault, Minn.

The Strib reports Anderson said the man spent 22 years as a Scout leader and held other positions in the Rochester area involving youth activities. The release says the man is an "admitted child molester."

As KAAL-TV reports, one of the victims, referred to as Doe 8, will be at the press conference outside the Olmsted County government center at 11 a.m. (The station also names the accused.)

Anderson has been a pioneering legal advocate for victims of sexual abuse by Roman Catholic clergy.

Last fall, the paper notes, the Boy Scouts of America released some 1,200 “Perversion Files” documenting reports of sexual abuse by Scoutmasters and adult leaders from 1965-1985, including 23 Scout leaders from Minnesota.

Next Up

Liam Robbins

Gophers stay perfect at home by crushing 7th-ranked Michigan

Liam Robbins and Marcus Carr were too much for the previously undefeated Wolverines.

police lights

Four teens arrested over robberies in Minneapolis

They teens were found in a vehicle that was taken during an earlier carjacking.

Boundary Waters/BWCA

All BWCA visitors will now have to watch three 'Leave No Trace' videos

Visitors left an "unacceptably high amount" of damage last year.

ambulance

Ten fatal overdoses in past 6 weeks reported in region of northern MN

Law enforcement agencies have issued a plea to the general public.

u.s. district court minnesota - federal court minneapolis

Bracing for security threats, federal courthouses closing in Minnesota

Security is also being ramped up at the state capitol.

N95 mask

3M sues Florida company that sold 10K counterfeit N95 masks to HCMC

The Maplewood company has obtained a temporary injunction against the firm.

vaccine, covid

Walz, Whitmer, and Evers call on Trump Admin. to buy more vaccines

It comes after The Washington Post reported that the country's COVID vaccine reserves have been exhausted.

Karl-Anthony Towns

Wolves-Grizzlies game off, KAT tests postive for COVID

The Timberwolves star was among several players that are dealing with COVID-related issues.

minnesota state fair

Planning for the 2021 Minnesota State Fair is underway

The fair suffered huge financial losses due to COVID-19, but organizers are moving forward with planning "different scenarios" for this summer.

Related

23 Minnesotans named in Boy Scouts' 'perversion files'

For decades, the Boy Scouts of America has kept thousands of pages of files on men they wanted to keep out of the scout leader ranks because they were suspected of molesting boys. Under court order of Thursday, the Boy Scouts released 14,500 pages of the files to an Oregon lawyer, dating from 1959 to 1985, and he has released the names. Twenty-three Minnesota men are identified in documents, five from St. Paul, seven from Minneapolis and one each from Apple Valley, Bloomington, Chisholm, Eagan, Faribault, International Falls, Maplewood, Moorhead, Mounds View, Rochester and St. Louis Park, Fox 9 reports.