Good news for some of the bumpiest, pockmarked streets in St. Paul.
The St. Paul City Council Wednesday unanimously approved Mayor Chris Coleman's proposal to spend $2.5 million to improve 11 of the city's most heavily traveled streets that are in most need of repair – stretches Coleman dubbed the "Terrible 20," the Pioneer Press reports.
The measure will use $1 million from close-out projects and funds transferred from other areas, such as street sweeping, in addition to the $1.5 million that has already been authorized to fix the roads, according to reports.
"We do not want to repeat the winter and spring we had this past year," Coleman said Wednesday, according to according to KARE 11. "No one wants another polar vortex and everyone wants the roads to be better in St. Paul. Redirecting these existing resources towards repaving the worst of our arterial streets will go a long way towards making sure that our roads are safer for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers."
City Council members had been critical about Coleman's proposal. Earlier this year, some council members pitched a plan to spend $22 million to actually rebuild the streets, instead of just repairing them, saying the city needs more than a short-term fix, the Star Tribune reports.
Coleman maintained that reconstructing all the streets would cost roughly $20 million a year for the next decade, but his $2.5 million plan will buy the city time until they can find a long-term solution.
"I agree that we need to take this next step on repairing our roads and pursue this mill and overlay work in 2014," Council President Kathy Lantry said, KARE 11 reports. "Additionally, we believe there needs to be a large infusion of money into rebuilding our roads in the future and we look forward to working with the mayor to identify a plan we can all get behind."
The repairs are expected to be completed by November, just in time for the winter driving season.
The streets picked to get the repairs include:
- Cretin Avenue (from Interstate 94 to Marshall Avenue, and Summit Avenue to Ford Parkway)
- Eustis Street (from the Highway 280 off-ramp to the I-94 on-ramp)
- 11th Street (from St. Peter to Jackson streets)
- Fairview Avenue (from Shields to Summit avenues)
- Grand Avenue (from Interstate 35E to West 7th Street)
- Hamline Avenue (from University to Selby avenues, Portland to Grand avenues, and St. Clair to Randolph avenues)
- Johnson Parkway (from Minnehaha Street to I-94)
- Lafayette Road (from East 7th to Grove streets)
- Rice/West 12th Street (from University Avenue to Wabasha/St. Peter streets)
- Wabasha Street (from 6th to 7th streets)
- Wheelock Parkway (from Edgerton to Arcade streets)