St. Paul Chamber Orchestra musicians reject latest proposal

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Locked-out musicians of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra have voted down management's latest contract offer, the Star Tribune reports.

“We’re obviously disappointed with the results and we’ll have to regroup,” SPCO spokeswoman Jessica Etten told the newspaper.

The non-binding, non-ratification vote followed St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman's intervention last month when he urged the musicians and management to end the labor dispute that began in October.

According to a statement, musicians "rejected Management’s latest proposal for several reasons, including serious threats to job security and contingencies placed on guaranteed pay."

SPCO interim president told the Pioneer Press that a deal must be reached by April 8 in order to save the remainder of the Orchestra's season. However, no new talks are currently scheduled.

Musicians offered a counter proposal last Friday, however, MPR says management quickly rejected it.

Meanwhile, the lockout of the Minnesota Orchestra hit the six-month mark Monday. Management and musicians have agreed on two New York-based financial consultants to review the organization's finances.

Next Up

Related

St. Paul Chamber Orchestra unanimously rejects contract offer

Locked out musicians with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra were unanimous in their rejection of a four-year contract offer. Musicians say the pay cuts contained in the offer would reduce salaries by one-third, although management says they amount to only 14 percent. Concerts through this weekend have already been cancelled and more cancellations will follow Wednesday's vote.