St. Paul launches safety campaign days after woman was hit crossing street - Bring Me The News

St. Paul launches safety campaign days after woman was hit crossing street

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

A new campaign to keep pedestrians safe is going on in St. Paul.

The St. Paul Police Department's yearlong "Stop For Me" campaign comes two days after a woman was killed while walking with her mother Tuesday night.

It was the first fatal pedestrian-vehicle incident in St. Paul this year, police said in a news release. Last year, six pedestrians in St. Paul were among the 40 killed by vehicles statewide.

The police department partnered with district councils for the campaign, which begins Thursday afternoon, to remind drivers to stop for pedestrians at every corner.

Volunteers from the 17 district councils, wearing high-visibility clothing, will be at some of St. Paul's most dangerous intersections on Thursday:

  • From 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. they'll be at Lexington Parkway and Hauge Avenue. A pedestrian was hit by a vehicle at the intersection in October 2015 – she suffered six broken bones and a traumatic brain injury.
  • From 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. they'll be at Snelling Avenue and Dayton Avenue.

Police officers will also be nearby to issue citations to motorists who don't yield to pedestrians, the release says.

There are 34 events planned this year – two for every district council in the city, the St. Paul Smart Trips website says. Check out the calendar for other "Stop For Me" events planned this year.

The hope is the yearlong campaign will make the city safer for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists.

"We can’t continue to shrug our shoulders and ignore the issue of pedestrian safety on our streets,” St. Paul City Council President Russ Stark said, according to the Star Tribune.

https://www.facebook.com/StopForMeStPaul/posts/1714638008823114

Next Up

Related