A lawsuit filed against the St. Paul Police Department over an arrest in a city skyway has been settled.
According to a document entered in federal court Friday, Chris Lollie reached a settlement in the case, which listed three St. Paul Police officers and the city as defendants.
Terms are listed as confidential, and will remain sealed right now. The St. Paul City Council still needs to approve the terms.
City Council President Russ Stark appeared at the settlement conference for the defendants. Lollie was also present.
Lollie was confronted by police while in the St. Paul skyway system on Jan. 31, 2014. Police used a stun gun against him, and he was taken into custody.
He recorded the incident on his cellphone and put the footage on YouTube. (Note: Strong language.)
He filed a lawsuit against the officers and city, saying he was waiting in a public space. He also says race was a factor.
Earlier this month, a judge ruled the case should go to trial because of the disputed facts in the case – but if the settlement is approved, that will not need to happen.
More on Lollie's arrest
Lollie said he was sitting in a skyway-level seating area in the First National Bank Building, waiting to pick up his kids from a nearby preschool, when a security guard told him to leave because he was trespassing. Lollie refused, saying he believed the area was a public space, so the guard called police.
Police said Lollie was being uncooperative, which prompted them to use the stun gun.
After publishing cellphone video in August 2014, Lollie filed a complaint against the police department. St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman then asked the city’s Police-Civilian Internal Affairs Review Commission to do a full review, and the officers involved were cleared of any wrongdoing in November 2014.
Charges against Lollie, which included trespassing and disorderly conduct, have been dropped, reports note.