St. Paul police want victims of clergy abuse to come forward


The St. Paul Police Department is asking anyone who may have been a victim of sexual abuse by a priest or any member of the Catholic Church to come forward, KSTP reported.

"We want to hear from you," Cmdr. Mary Nash, head of the family and sexual violence unit, said at a news conference Thursday. "We want to hear your story."

Victims are asked to call St. Paul police at 651-291-1111. Their identities would be kept confidential, KARE 11 reports.

Nash said police are looking into allegations against a priest in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, but declined to elaborate, the Associated Press said.

Police recently reopened an investigation into allegations that a priest had child pornography on his computer in 2004.

Nash would not say whether police are investigating other accused priests, the Star Tribune said.

In a civil suit filed Monday by a St. Paul attorney, Rev. Michael Keating, an associate professor at the University of St. Thomas, is accused of sexual misconduct when he was a seminary student more than 10 years ago.

Keating is on voluntary leave while the university conducts its own investigation. The Star Tribune says St. Paul police are not involved the case.

Next Up