State health department confirms first 2 flu cases of season

The Minnesota Department of Health says a 12-year-old from Hennepin County and a 25-year-old woman from Olmstead County are the first two confirmed cases of 2012-2013 flu season.
Author:
Publish date:

The Minnesota Department of Health says a 12-year-old from Hennepin County and a 25-year-old woman from Olmstead County are the first two confirmed cases of 2012-2013 flu season, the Star Tribune reported.

Both cases were confirmed this month and neither required hospital care.

Health department officials said in August that two different strains of flu are anticipated this season.

Officials say the diagnosis of the first two cases should serve as good reminder for people to get flu shots.

Considering the time crunch some people are in, some providers are experimenting with a drive-thru flu shot service that ends Oct. 13.

Next Up

Related

State officials expect 2 new flu strains in coming flu season

Officials with the Minnesota Department of Health are expecting more cases of flu than seen in the last two years because of two new strains that are expected to hit the state. Vaccinations are already available to fight the new strains, but it won't protect people from a third flu threat: a variation of swine flu that is transmitted through direct contact with infected pigs.

State health officials confirm first case of West Nile virus in 2012

The Minnesota Department of Health reports a St. Louis County man tested positive for West Nile after visiting south-central Minnesota in late May. He is currently recovering at a hospital. Minnesotans are urged to protect themselves from this potentially life-threatening disease by taking some simple precautions against mosquito bites.

189 more cases of whooping cough confirmed in state

The Minnesota Department of Health says 189 new cases of pertussis, also known as whooping cough -- have been confirmed in the state in the last week. That brings the total to more than 3,500 cases in the state this year.

CDC confirms swine flu case linked to Minnesota State Fair

The Centers for Disease Control has confirmed that one case of swine flu has been linked to the Minnesota State Fair and two possible additional cases are pending. Minnesota Public Radio reports that in the three cases, people were either exhibiting hogs or were in the swine barn at the state fair before falling ill. The strain is different that the one that has caused 289 illnesses and one death nationwide so far this year.