State health department finds multiple violations at Minn. care facilities - Bring Me The News

State health department finds multiple violations at Minn. care facilities

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Unattended assisted-living residents, a deadly drug overdose and severe neglect are some of the violations investigators from the Minnesota Department of Health found at three care facilities in the state.

According to reports released by MDH and obtained by the Star Tribune, operators of the state's Minneapolis Veterans Home are being blamed for a fatal overdose.

Investigators say 61-year-old Air Force vet Gerald Bain, a resident at the facility and employee at the home's coffee shop, got his hands on methadone that was not prescribed to him and overdosed. Bain was found dead in his room last February.

MDH says staff members failed to follow policy and monitor Bain's medication intake. Numerous unprescribed medications were found in his room.

At an assisted-living home for older women in Minneapolis, the health department found that six residents were routinely left unattended for more than two hours every morning. While the nurses were gone, the residents were responsible for administering their own medications.

In the third case, a man with developmental disabilities and mental illness at an assisted-living facility in Chisolm, Minn. was left in such filthy conditions that he was eventually hospitalized.

The Star Tribune reports ambulance crew members found the victim in a room so foul with the smell of urine that their eyes watered. Inside, the furniture was filthy and ripped, and black mold festered on a table. Old cans of food were strewn about, and the bed had no linens.

He was found in a recliner, suffering from critically low blood sugar due to diabetes and a urinary tract infection. The man was barely alive when he was transported to a nearby hospital, where he is now recovering.

The facility received several citations.

Next Up

Related