Skip to main content

State won't appeal first ever full release from Minnesota Sex Offender Program

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

The state of Minnesota has decided against appealing a ruling that will see the first ever total discharge from the controversial Minnesota Sex Offender Program (MSOP).

Commissioner Emily Johnson Piper, through a Department of Human Services spokesperson, confirmed to BringMeTheNews she will not appeal the discharge of 26-year-old Eric Terhaar, which was upheld last month by the Minnesota Supreme Court.

The reason for this, she says, is that it could set an unwanted precedent that could undermine the future of MSOP, which she sees as "critical to public safety."

"Until now, I have actively opposed the release of this Minnesota Sex Offender Program client," she said. "I had to weigh the risk that an unsuccessful appeal may set a precedent that could undermine the commitments of other clients.

"My recent appeal in another case was denied by the court. Continuing to have a strong program is critical to public safety."

The other case she is referring to is the provisional discharge of MSOP offender Christopher Coker, with Piper's appeal failing despite what she says was "unanimous testimony from experts against his release."

Terhaar is among the 700-plus "civilly committed" people in MSOP, who are essentially locked up at one of two high-security facilities (in Moose Lake or St. Peter) for an indefinite period of time.

The future of MSOP in its current form is under question, with a federal judge demanding immediate changes to the program after ruling it "unconstitutional" for effectively keeping offenders confined after they served their prison sentence, with no prospect of ever being released.

Terhaar will become the first offender to ever be released from the program without being subjected to intrusive levels of supervision in the community, or without being first released to a halfway house, the Star Tribune notes.

He entered MSOP six years ago at the age of 19, having first entering a "secure" facility at the age of 14 after a turbulent childhood that saw him sexually abused multiple times in a juvenile facility in California. But he also reported sexually abusing some of his developmentally disabled siblings.

The Supreme Court ruling (which you can read in full here) says Terhaar isn’t a danger to the public, and doesn’t need the type of treatment or supervision the MSOP provides.

Expert testimony has noted Terhaar does not have a sexual disorder, which means the chance he re-offends is lower. He’s also gone out into the community without incident, and visits to his father’s home have been called productive.

Next Up

hwy 41 engler boulevard crash crop

Deadly crash shuts down small stretch of Chaska highway

At least two vehicles were involved in the wreck.

covid test 6

You can now order 4 free at-home COVID tests from the government

Tests will ship for free within 7-12 days, according to the White House.

covid-19

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, January 18

Minnesota has reached 11,000 COVID-19 deaths.

1114_LA-116

Vikings must continue building out receiving corps in 2022

Justin Jefferson headlines a young, promising group, but more depth is still needed

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.39.38 PM

Jordan Greenway runs into Darcy Kuemper, sparks fight

Kuemper got knocked out of the game, leading to the brawl.

Kirill Kaprizov

MacKinnon's controversial goal helps Avalanche top Wild

Kirill Kaprizov's two goals were spoiled by a questionable call.

powell itasca jail jan 2022 resize

Attorney accused of sex assault misses hearing, DMs judge

He was arrested the next day after a warrant was issued,

lorie shaull vulcan snow park st paul winter carnival 2018

Winter Carnival: Get vaccinated or test negative before coming

Organizers are also reminding people to be mindful of the city's emergency regulations.

Related

Minnesota sex-offender program releasing its first convicted pedophile

Clarence Opheim will be freed to a Minneapolis halfway-house after 19 years in the sex-offender program. The Star Tribune reports the 64-year-old is the first patient to be released since the program started in 1994. Opheim was convicted in the late 1980s of criminal sexual assault of a teenage boy. His whereabouts will still be monitored with an electronic ankle-bracelet.