Superior, Wis., mayor says city likely won't qualify for disaster aid

Despite suffering damage in the same floods that devastated Duluth and northeastern Minnesota last month, Superior, Wis., most likely won't meet requirements for federal disaster aid, the city's mayor said Wednesday. The damage the city sustained appears to be far below the Federal Emergency Management Agency's threshold numbers.
Author:
Publish date:

Despite suffering damage in the same floods that devastated Duluth and northeastern Minnesota last month, Superior, Wis., most likely won't meet requirements for federal disaster aid, the city's mayor said Wednesday. The damage the city sustained appears to be far below the Federal Emergency Management Agency's threshold numbers.

Next Up

Related

Feds approve disaster aid for NE Minnesota flood damage

The disaster declaration for 13 Minnesota counties and three tribal nations devastated by flooding in northeastern Minnesota last month was approved Friday by the federal government. The $108 million in aid only covers damage to public infrastructure.

Dayton to request $108M in disaster aid for NE Minnesota floods

Gov. Mark Dayton announced in Duluth Friday that he will ask President Barack Obama for a $108 million disaster declaration stemming from last week's floods in northeastern Minnesota. The money will be used to repair damages sustained by public infrastructure in the 13 counties and three tribal areas affected by the flooding.

Minnesota mayors write Obama in plea for disaster aid in wake of flooding

Golden Valley Mayor Shep Harris is leading the charge in asking President Barack Obama for disaster assistance in the wake of the flooding that affected Duluth and surrounding areas. Duluth Mayor Don Hess says Harris wrote the president, saying "devastation could not have come at a worse time" because the businesses in the affected areas heavily rely on tourism.

Despite flooding, Duluth tourism officials say city open for business

Tourism officials in Duluth said despite the record breaking flooding that devastated parts of the city, restaurants and other tourism-related businesses in the city are open for business. Some officials in the city and surrounding areas are worried about how the damage will affect the region's $800 million tourism industry.

Feds reject individual flooding aid in NE Minn.

A request for federal individual assistance for Northeastern Minnesota has been denied. W. Craig Engate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told Gov. Mark Dayton in a letter that damage to dwellings from the flooding that began June 19 “was not of such severity and magnitude as to warrant the implementation of individual assistance.” The state has 30 days to appeal the decision. Gov. Mark Dayton "is very disappointed."

FEMA says no to Dayton's appeal for individual flood assistance

The Federal Emergency Management Agency denied an appeal Friday from Gov. Mark Dayton for aid for individuals and businesses affected by floods in northeastern Minnesota in June. Dayton said he was "disappointed" by FEMA's ruling and that he'll ask the state legislature for an estimated $7.4 million in assistance in an upcoming special session.

Klobuchar surveys Duluth flood damage, calls it 'massive'

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar toured flood-damaged areas of Duluth and other parts of northeastern Minnesota Friday, and after declaring the damage massive assured federal aid would be coming to the area. The federal government contributes more than 75 percent to uninsured public infrastructure when natural disasters cause more than $8 million damage.