In an effort to promote its pharmacy services, Cub Foods staff stuffed empty prescription bottles with coupons and information about flu shots, along with candy for kids.
KARE 11 reports the bottles were handed out at the Inver Grove Heights Days Parade last Saturday to the surprise of many parents.
"We all have pill bottles at the house and so kids are going to look at the bottle and say, 'Oh, I got this at the parade, this one is going to have candy in it,'" Katrina Leonida, a mother of two who attended the parade, told the television station.
According to Safe Kids Worldwide, medications are the leading cause of child poisoning. In 2011, half of the 2.2 million calls to poison control centers were for exposures or ingestions among kids under the age of 5.
The Hennepin Regional Poison Center told KARE 11 that children often mistake pills for candy.
"The intention was to raise awareness about our local store's pharmacy services, including flu shots, as well as provide savings to area residents. Additionally, we wanted to offer wrapped candy for parade attendees." Supervalu, which owns Cub Foods, said in a statement. "Choosing to combine the two was an error in judgment and we fully understand the concerns some attendees have expressed."
ABC News has a list of seven drugs that can kill kids in a single pill.
The Centers for Disease Control offers tips for parents on keeping medication out of the hands of children.