The Minnesota Supreme Court has given its final decision in the lawsuit launched by GOP lawmakers against Gov. Mark Dayton – ruling in Dayton's favor.
Republican House and Senate leaders led the filing of a lawsuit after Dayton line-item vetoed the Legislature's $130 million budget funding. The governor said it would not be restored until GOPers reworked parts of the rest of the budget he was not happy with.
This followed what he referred to as a "sneak attack" in the rest of the budget, with Dayton saying he was forced to sign after a provision was included that stated a veto would result in the defunding of the Department of Revenue.
With its funding threatened, Legislature sued, arguing the veto wasn't within Dayton's power as governor. But the Supreme Court issued its final decision on the matter Thursday, stating Dayton's actions "complied" with section 23 of the Minnesota Constitution.
You can read the ruling here.
Republican senate leader Paul Gazelka said earlier this month that due to dwindling funds, the Senate would have to start furloughing employees in December, as reported by the Star Tribune.
This formed part of the Republican argument to the Supreme Court, but after asking for more detailed financial information, the court found that both the House and Senate have access to enough money to keep going until they reconvene for the next legislative session in February.
The court also delivered a rebuke to both Dayton and the Republican-led Legislature, saying their dispute is "ill-suited for judicial resolution."
"The parties’ dispute about coercion essentially asks the court to assess, weigh, and judge the motives of co-equal branches of government engaged in a quintessentially political process," the court added.