Survivors of Minneapolis duplex fire give back to community - Bring Me The News

Survivors of Minneapolis duplex fire give back to community

Author:
Publish date:

A family that escaped a deadly duplex fire in Minneapolis on Valentine's Day handed out smoke detectors over the weekend in hopes to prevent a similar tragedy.

Latonya Garrett and her family made it out of the fire safely after her son woke up to smoke in his room. Troy Lewis, who lived upstairs, lost five of his seven children in the fire.

On Saturday, the community organization MAD DADS hosted a benefit for the Garrett family. During the benefit, the family handed out 300 smoke detectors and emergency safety information, KARE 11 reported.

"Not a lot of people put smoke alarms on their grocery list. They don't put it on their buy list and it's great to just give it," Garrett told KSTP.

She said she didn't act quickly enough during the fire because she didn't understand the danger. She told KARE 11 she doesn't want anyone else to make the same mistakes.

"Educate yourself, educate your children on fire safety – not even fire safety, on any emergency situation. Just educate your children," Garrett told KARE 11.

MAD DADS set up the benefit to help the family furnish their new home. People stopped by and dropped off blankets and a microwave oven, among other household essentials.

Post by MINNEAPOLIS MAD DADS.

Related

Next Up