One of the Minnesota men accused of trying to support the Islamic State militant group is pleading guilty.
Adnan Farah was charged in federal court last year with conspiracy to support the Islamic State, conspiracy to commit murder outside the U.S., and perjury.
He (and four other suspects) initially pleaded not guilty.
But Thursday morning, Farah's defense notified the courts about a plea change. According to the plea document and the judge's order, Farah is now pleading guilty to trying to provide support to the Islamic State.
The judge also ordered he also take part in the same study four suspects who previously pleaded guilty are taking part in – a plan to see if they can be “de-radicalized” and integrated back into society. Read more about what the study will entail here.
You can read the original criminal complaint filed against Farah here.
The four remaining suspects who have pleaded not guilty are scheduled to go to trial in May.
Terrorism recruitment in Minnesota
Terrorist recruiting in Minnesota “is an ongoing problem,” U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger has said, adding that federal and local law enforcement “remain dedicated to ending terror recruitment in our state.”
The Twin Cities is home to the largest Somali population in the United States, according to U.S. News, and reports note dozens of young men have left the state to join extremist groups in recent years. It’s a concern for the local Somali community as well.
In September, a government task force published a report looking at the cases of 58 individuals who left the U.S. to fight with Islamist militant groups overseas. It found 15 of those people came from Minnesota, the highest amount from any state. (Those numbers only come from a sample size, though, as the number of American foreign fighters is thought to be in the hundreds, the report says.)