Skip to main content

Target close to settling data breach lawsuit for $10 million

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Target Corp. has submitted court documents outlining a $10 million settlement with customers whose personal information was stolen in its 2013 data breach, according to multiple news reports.

NBC News says court documents were filed Wednesday in federal court in Minneapolis to settle the class-action lawsuit brought by customers whose credit and debit accounts were hacked as a result of the data breach during the 2013 holiday shopping season.

A $10 million fund will be established for victims of the breach who can prove they suffered monetary losses. Each victim will be eligible for up to $10,000 compensation.

Target also agreed to appoint a chief information security officer to oversee information security and to train employees in securing customers' personally identifiable information, USA Today reports.

According to the newspaper, customers can receive compensation if they have experienced at least one of the following, and have documentation to support their claims of reimbursement:

  • Unauthorized, unreimbursed charges on their credit or debit card
  • Time spent addressing those charges
  • Fees to hire someone to correct their credit report
  • Higher interest rates or fees on the accounts
  • Credit-related costs
  • Costs to replace their identification, Social Security number or phone number

A Target spokeswoman said in a statement: "We are pleased to see the process moving forward and look forward to its resolution."

According to NBC, the two sides reached the agreement last week, and was expected to be discussed Thursday in federal court in St. Paul.

The massive data breach at Target was revealed in December 2013. Thieves hacked as many as 40 million accounts that affected as many as 110 million people.

Target admitted in March 2014 that its online security protection detected potentially malicious activity in the weeks before the data breach but did not take immediate action. In the wake of the data breach, CEO Gregg Steinhafel resigned and was succeeded by Brian Cornell, a former PepsiCo and Wal-Mart executive.

Next Up

Tettegouche State Park bridge

Trails reopen as waters subside, but bridges damaged at Tettegouche State Park

Water levels on the river have dropped about six to eight feet since Friday.

Keith Harvell

Body pulled from Mississippi River ID'd as missing Elk River man

Keith Harvell had been missing since early last month.

900 W Broadway Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota - July 2021

2 victims identified in double-fatal north Minneapolis shooting

A 21-year-old man and a 51-year-old man were identified as the people who died at the scene this past weekend.

Proctor football

Former Proctor HS football player pleads guilty to sexual assault of teammate

The case will also remain in juvenile court, with conditions.

Doug Wardlow

Doug Wardlow reneges on promise, will challenge GOP's AG candidate in primary

Wardlow's announcement sparked swift criticism from the MN GOP and the party-endorsed candidate, Jim Schultz.

Flickr - welcome to minnesota sign - Tony Webster

US News '150 Best Places to Live' features 1 from MN, 3 from WI

The latest US News list is for the most populous metro areas only, so no small towns.

tornado

7 tornadoes touched down last week in western MN, ND

Two of the seven were EF-2 level tornadoes, according to the National Weather Service.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, May 17

72 hours of case data reported over the weekend is included in Tuesday updates.

Stallings surveillance footage - screengrab - crop

City of Minneapolis, Jaleel Stallings reach $1.5M settlement

Although a settlement was made, the city will not admit fault or take any responsibility for the incident as part of the agreement with Stallings.

Kayak

2 rescued after kayaks capsize on Sauk River

Recent heavy rainfall produced a strong currents on the water.

Related