The teenager who was accused of plotting to kill his family and blow up his Waseca school is expected to go home Wednesday.
A judge ruled last week that LaDue can go home after experts said he no longer poses a threat to the community, noting he no longer suffered from the depression he had when he admitted to the 2014 plot, the Mankato Free Press reported.
Upon his release, the judge ordered that LaDue go to school or get a job to help make sure he engages with other people, FOX 9 reports.
The Mankato Free Press spoke with several people in the Waseca community about LaDue returning home, with many saying they had "cautious hope" for the teenager.
LaDue was arrested in April 2014 at the age of 17 after police found him in a storage unit filled with bomb-making materials. He was charged with several felonies, including attempted murder, but those were later dismissed.
Lawmaker considers possible legislation
KSTP is reporting that state Sen. Vicki Jensen, a Democrat from Owatonna, is considering introducing a bill next year that would allow prosecutors to bring more serious charges against suspects in cases similar to LaDue's.
Jensen is frustrated that the attempted murder charges against LaDue were dismissed, saying state law doesn't allow a prosecutor to charge someone with attempted murder unless there was an actual attempt, the Star Tribune reported.
She argues that taking steps, like building a bomb, do show there was attempt at a crime. But, Jensen noted, defining an attempted charge is difficult because "we don’t want to prosecute people for their thoughts," she told the paper.