A 17-year-old boy is being charged as an adult in connection to the killings of a man and a 7-month-old baby last weekend.
Jquan LeeArthur McInnis, of Minneapolis, was charged Thursday with four counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 20-year-old Gustav Christianson and 7-month-old Jayden Redden.
"This shooting is inexplicable," Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said in a statement. "Mr. McInnis’ background shows no violence with a weapon of any sort. Nonetheless, he took the lives of two people so we will go to the grand jury for an indictment which will allow us to seek a maximum penalty of life in prison with the possibility of parole after 30 years."
According to the criminal complaint, McInnis told police that he had a prior dispute with Christianson, and when he saw him near 26th Street and 11th Avenue Sunday afternoon, he shot him as he was seated in the back of a car and then fled the scene.
McInnis told police he didn't know there was a baby in the car at the time of the shooting, according to the complaint.
Christianson was pronounced dead at the scene – he was shot multiple times, according to the medical examiner. Jayden, who was brought to the hospital by his father, died of a gunshot wound to the chest.
Although McInnis is 17, he is being charged as an adult. Because he was certified as an adult in an earlier case, state law says he's automatically charged as an adult in this case – something he cannot appeal, Chuck Laszewski, of the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, told GoMN.
Court records show McInnis was certified as an adult prior to being convicted last month of felony aggravated robbery.