The family of a 22-year-old man killed after a police chase that ended in a Minneapolis basement plans to file a civil suit against the police within the next month, a family lawyer said, MPR reports.
A grand jury last week chose not to bring criminal charges against five officers involved in the attempted arrest of Terrance Franklin, who was shot and killed by police in the Uptown neighborhood home in May. The officers said Franklin charged them and used one of their guns to shoot and injure two officers.
Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau has stressed in a statement that she stands by the officers.
But Franklin's family disputes the police version of events. They say he pleaded for his life.
KARE 11 reports that Franklin's family says he surrendered. "They killed my son," the man's father Walter Franklin said, MPR reports.
The police department on Thursday released a 228-page document that details the events that led to the May 10 shooting, in which police describe the pursuit of Franklin, a burglary suspect. The document, posted by MPR, reveals details about chaotic moments before the shooting, KSTP reports.
MPR also posted sketches and images of the basement, an autopsy report, as well as a cell phone video that Franklin family lawyer Mike Padden says was shot from across the street from where the shooting took place.