Update 3 p.m.
The Carver County Sheriff's Office has provided more details about what caused the lockdown at the Chaska arboretum Tuesday morning.
According to the news release, a woman who was jogging on the trails in the arboretum saw a man who was "not wearing any clothes and had a hatchet in his hand." This was at 7:45 a.m.
Then the woman saw the man again a little after 9 a.m., but by that time he was wearing a gray T-shirt and black gym shorts. She called the sheriff's office at 9:17 a.m. to report the incident.
Arboretum staff told authorities they saw a man matching the description shortly after 9 a.m., and that he was carrying a small wireless speaker in one hand and a cellphone in the other.
The man never made threats to anyone, the sheriff's office says, but now they are investigating the incident for indecent exposure, which is a misdemeanor.
The suspect is described as a white male in his 50s with salt and pepper hair. He's of "average height" and approximately 300 pounds, the release says
Anyone with information is asked is asked to call the Carver County Sheriff's Office at 952-361-1212.
The original story from Tuesday afternoon is posted below.
Reports of a 'dangerous man' had the arboretum on lockdown
The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum was turning away visitors Tuesday morning after reports of a dangerous person on the grounds.
The lockdown ended at about 12:30 p.m. after authorities conducted an extensive search of the grounds and didn't find anything suspicious, arboretum spokeswoman Susie Hopper told GoMN.
Police had been called around 7:45 a.m. after visitors reported seeing a man carrying something. But there were conflicting reports – one person thought it was a hatchet, another said it might've been a gun, and yet another person said it was just a cell phone and speaker, Hopper said.
Although the claims couldn't be verified, the arboretum immediately notified police.
"Concern for public safety was the primary driver," Hopper said.
Visitors were not allowed to enter while the Carver County Sheriff's Department searched the premises. Hopper said people already in the park could decide whether or not they wanted to stay.
By 12:30 p.m., authorities gave the all clear and visitors were allowed to enter the park again.
There are several ways off the 1,200-acre property, Hopper said, so it's possible the man had already taken off.
The Carver County Sheriff's Department is expected to release more information this afternoon. Check back for updates.