Skip to main content

The biggest furniture recall in IKEA history was sparked by a MN toddler's death

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Swedish furniture maker IKEA is recalling 29 million dressers because they're unsafe unless they're anchored to a wall, the company says.

The recall involves all six models of IKEA's MALM dressers. The number of drawers ranges from three to six. The furniture was sold from 2002 through this month. IKEA is offering customers a refund or a free wall-anchoring kit.

It was a MALM dresser that tipped over onto 22-month-old Ted McGee of Apple Valley on Valentine's Day.

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/747800707093303296

By then IKEA and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPS) had started offering free wall anchors because there had already been two child deaths caused by dressers tipping over.

Since Ted McGee's death in February, consumer groups stepped up their calls for IKEA to stop selling the dressers.

With Tuesday's announcement that has now happened, though an official with the Consumer Federation of America says it should have occurred sooner, WCCO reports.

IKEA: It's an industry-wide issue

The problem of furniture tipping over onto children is not unique to IKEA dressers. The New York Times says CSPS numbers show that in an average year 38,000 people visit emergency rooms because of tip-over accidents, with a majority of those people younger than five.

IKEA President Lars Petersson tells Co.Design the biggest recall in the company's history is meant to prevent more deaths, but the company also wants to raise awareness of how important it is to secure any home furniture that can tip over.

https://twitter.com/FastCoDesign/status/747872278612938753

Petersson tells the website "A chest of drawers can be an irresistible temptation for children to use as a ladder," and if it's not properly secured the results can be tragic.

More details about the IKEA recall are available from the CSPS.

Next Up

police lights

Man arrested after abduction attempt in Bemidji

The incident occurred in Cameron Park on June 25.

betty danger's

Betty Danger's in NE Minneapolis for sale for $4.2 million

The asking price includes the restaurant's ferris wheel, as well as a nearby single-family home.

monkeypox

Minnesota health officials warn monkeypox cases could grow rapidly

The state has so far confirmed only six cases of monkeypox virus.

291734046_502006195017388_4346404407323115820_n

Bodies of woman, three young children recovered from Vadnais Lake

Authorities say the bodies recovered were those of two boys, one girl and their mother.

Pixabay laptop keyboard phone dark

Charges: Duluth man had hundreds of child porn images, videos

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children found nearly 330 images on the man's electronic devices.

hennepin county sheriff water patrol lake minnetonka

Scuba diver found dead in Lake Minnetonka identified as 20-year-old

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said 20-year-old Brady Alan Aune, from Elko New Market, died of freshwater drowning on June 3.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 11.18.35 AM

Felony charges filed after authorities search 'Peacebunny Cottage'

The president of the rabbit rescue non-profit faces multiple animal cruelty charges after over 40 rabbits were found dead inside the organization's barn.

monkeypox virus

Minnesota up to 6 confirmed cases of monkeypox virus

Most people recover at home within 2-4 weeks.

thc edibles

Did Minnesota just accidentally legalize THC?

A Republican lawmaker who voted to approve the new law in May is already talking about rolling it back.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 3.19.42 PM

Gasoline may be cause of sewer explosion on U of M campus

An all-clear was given around 9 p.m. Thursday, with residents in the area allowed to return to their homes.

image

Overwhelming demand for THC products on first day of new law in MN

One shop owner said his Chaska store broke the online sales record before they opened Friday morning.

Related

Twin Cities toddler is 3rd to die from IKEA dresser tipping over

The 22-month-old Apple Valley boy was alone in his room when it tipped over on him