Possibly poisonous blue-green algae was found in another Twin Cities lake - Bring Me The News

Possibly poisonous blue-green algae was found in another Twin Cities lake

This type of blue-green algae has sickened humans and killed dogs.
Author:
Publish date:
An example of nutrient pollution, this one in Maryland.

An example of nutrient pollution, this one in Maryland.

Officials discovered another lake in the Twin Cities with blue-green algae – a substance that can produce toxins that are deadly to dogs.

The City of Woodbury says the Ramsey-Washington Watershed District on Friday confirmed the presence of blue-green algae in Carver Lake – a 49-acre lake with a playground, picnic area, swimming beach and boardwalk. 

The city is telling anyone who goes to the lake to avoid contact with the water because of the blue-green algae – which isn't actually an algae, but a freshwater bacteria called cyanobacteria.

Blue-green algae – which smells bad and looks like pea soup – has sickened humans and killed several dogs in recent years. It generally crops up during warm weather when the water is stagnant and rich in nutrients.

Earlier this week the City of Edina warned residents the blooms were found in Lake Cornelia for the second year in a row.

The warning is because the algal blooms can produce toxins that affect liver and kidney functions, with symptoms of poisoning including jaundice, shock, abdominal pain, weakness, nausea, vomiting, severe thirst and a rapid pulse.

It's even more dangerous to pets, since they don't know to not drink the water.

As Woodbury points out, not all blue-green algae will produce these toxins. But there's no way to predict whether they will or not, so it's best to be cautious and just stay away from the water. 

Next Up

Related

Warm weather could contribute to growth of blue-green algae on Minn. lakes

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency says to keep a lookout for blue-green algae on lakes because it comes with health risks. The toxic algae -- which has a pungent smell, and has a fluorescent green hue or could be pink or blue -- can cause rashes, nausea or vomiting both in humans, and could be potentially be fatal to pets.