Storm swamps Twin Cities; thousands without power in northern MN


The muggy weather of the past 24 hours has led to a major thunderstorm on Thursday morning, with the Twin Cities swamped by heavy rainfall.

The National Weather Service is warning that damage could be caused by strong winds, heavy rain and lightning as two bands of storms make their way across the state.

With two bands of storms passing Twin Cities metro between 7-9 a.m., the NWS has warned of localized flooding on roads and particularly in construction areas.

Another storm is moving along the southern part of Minnesota Thursday morning.

KSTP reports the weather has been causing traffic problems in the metro, with heavy rain causing traffic to back up. Commuters have been warned their commute time may double as a result.

The storms are expected to leave the state by midday, the TV station adds.

Thousands without power in northern MN

Northern Minnesota is once again recovering from massive storms, with thousands of homes without power Thursday morning.

Minnesota Power and Lake Country Power are reporting more than 9,000 customers were without power as of 6 a.m., with most of the outages in the Cloquet, Nisswa/Brainerd Lakes, Duluth and Carlton areas.

According to the Duluth News Tribune, trees and power lines were brought down in the Nisswa area, while a 67 mph wind gust was reported at the Duluth International Airport.

The newspaper notes the storms weren't as destructive as those of two weeks ago, which left tens of thousands of homes powerless – some for up to a week.

One of the worst-hit places in Minnesota was Menahga, with Valley News Live reporting electricity is out in the Wadena County town after the storm felled multiple power poles.

Many roads in the city are blocked and closed, the TV station notes, and people are advised to stay indoors until the debris is cleared.

Next Up


Thousands in the Northland without power after second wave of storms

Crews had not finished restoring power in Bemidji and parts of the Iron Range after Monday night's storm when a follow-up storm lashed the area on Wednesday. Now several thousand customers are without power in cities including Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Mountain Iron, and Deer River. Officials say it could take as long as three days to get the electricity back on.

Storm knocks out power to thousands, downs trees in Twin Cities metro

A day of record-breaking temperatures on Saturday was followed by a late season thunderstorm and damaging high winds overnight. The National Weather Service is still working to confirm whether it was straight-line winds or a rare late-season tornado that knocked out power to about 12,000 customers, the Star Tribune reports.