Just three days after committing to playing in the Safeway Open in California, Tiger Woods has withdrawn from the tournament.
Woods, who hasn't played in a PGA event in 14 months while recovering from back surgery, said last week that he would return at the event, but he issued a statement Monday withdrawing.
"After a lot of soul searching and honest reflection, I know that I am not yet ready to play on the PGA Tour or compete in Turkey. My health is good, and I feel strong, but my game is vulnerable and not where it needs to be."
Woods added that his time with the U.S. Ryder Cup Team at Hazeltine earlier this month inspired him to play, but after practicing for the last several days in Napa, California, Woods added that he knew he "wasn't ready to compete against the best golfers in the world."
Despite missing more than a year due to the back injury, Woods continues to be one of the top draws in golf.
Despite the doubters, Woods remained focused on returning to the game that has seen him win 14 major championships.
"I will continue to strive to be able to play tournament golf," Woods said Monday. "I'm close, and I won't stop until I get there."