Toddler who swallowed laundry detergent packet improving

Author:
Publish date:

The 1-year-old Minnesota boy who ended up in intensive care after ingesting a Tide Pod over the weekend is showing signs of improvement.

Alexander Rohde of Hitterdal recently began breathing on his own in the pediatric ICU at Sanford Hospital in Fargo, according to his CaringBridge site.

"He is requiring lots of oxygen and being a little fiesty, but that is ok with us. Please keep praying for him," Alexander's aunt, Martha, wrote.

Alexander got a hold of the small, brightly-covered packet of concentrated laundry detergent last Saturday and swallowed it. His mother, Michelle Klienschmidt, gave her son milk as the package directed her to do if swallowed. She then called Poison Control and 911.

The Tide Pod was likely mistaken for a piece of candy.

More than 6,700 children ages 5 or younger have been exposed to single-load laundry packets so far in 2013, exceeding the number of children exposed in all of 2012, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

In August, a 7-month-old Florida boy died after ingesting a similar packet of laundry detergent.

Next Up

Related