Twin Cities restaurateur files Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Champps and Redstone American Grill founder Dean Vlahos told the Star Tribune he lost $26 million as a result of his onetime pal Tom Petters' $3.65 billion Ponzi scheme. He's now looking to escape nearly $12 million in debt.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

Champps and Redstone American Grill founder Dean Vlahos told the Star Tribune he lost $26 million as a result of his onetime pal Tom Petters' $3.65 billion Ponzi scheme. He's now looking to escape nearly $12 million in debt.

Next Up

Related

Feds to seize Twin Cities home tied to Petters' Ponzi scheme

The U.S. Attorney's Office was given the go-ahead Wednesday by a federal judge to seize a Minnetrista home that was purchased with proceeds from the Tom Petters' Ponzi scheme. The house until recently was occupied by Allen Munson, the ex-husband of former Petters' associate, Deanna Coleman.

Petters trying to convince U.S. Supreme Court to review his fraud conviction

Petters continues to argue his Sixth Amendment rights were violated because he wasn't allowed to fully question certain witnesses. The full 8th Circuit Court of Appeals denied the former Minnesota businessman's request last year. Petters is serving a 50 year sentence for orchestrating a $3.65 billion Ponzi scheme. He was convicted in 2009.

ResCap files for Chapter 11

Mortgage lender Residential Capital filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday. The Richfield-based company needs help from its parent company to repay about $12 billion owed to the federal government for a bailout during the financial crisis. ResCap has 3,500 employees and reported $15.3 billion in total debt.

Petters receiver goes after $2 million donation to St. Benedict

The receiver in the Tom Petters 'clawback' effort filed a lawsuit to recover a $2 million donation to the College of St. Benedict. The imprisoned businessman donated to the school starting in 2003. A court convicted Petters in 2009 of running a multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme. College officials say the money was already spent on renovation and construction projects.

Petters to request U.S. Supreme Court to review his case

The full Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals is denying convicted Minnesota businessman Tom Petters' request to re-hear his appeal. The Pioneer Press reports Petters will now ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review his case. He was found guilty in 2009 for orchestrating a $3.5 billion Ponzi scheme. The 54-year-old is currently serving a 50-year sentence at a federal penitentiary in Kansas.

Twin Cities restaurateur to replace shuttered Joe Senser’s in Eagan

Joel Lehman, who also owns and operates Trattoria Da Vinci in St. Paul’s Lowertown, tells Sun Thisweek he plans to revive the site with a new bar and grill. Renovations on the new Eagan eatery -- Lone Oak Grill -- are underway and should be complete by the end of July. Joe Senser's Sports Grill and Bar closed last fall after Amy Senser was charged in the hit-and-run death of a man in Minneapolis last summer. She was convicted last month of criminal vehicular homicide.