Twin Cities retailers and manufacturers are in the clear -- at least for now -- thanks to deal to delay a ports strike on the East Coast, the Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal reports.
A strike would have disrupted shipments to Twin Cities businesses since it would have closed 14 ports on the Eastern Seaboard and Gulf Coast -- which handle 44 percent of the cargo containers entering and leaving the U.S., the Journal says.
Retailers like Twin Cities-based Target Corp. told Business Week that it had a "well-defined" contingency plan, but would not share the exact details of that plan.
A mediator said Friday that representatives for the shipping companies and the dockworker's union had agreed to extend the current contract until Jan. 28, the New York Times reports.
The International Longshoreman's Association's 14,500 members previously had threatened to go on strike Sunday if an agreement wasn't reached.