An Apple Valley toddler died after a dresser made by IKEA tipped over and crushed the 22-month-old – the third such incident to be reported.
Theodore “Ted” McGee died on Feb. 14 when he tipped IKEA’s popular Malm dresser while alone in his room, the family’s attorney told the Philadelphia Inquirer. He's the third toddler in the last two years to die from the piece of furniture tipping over.
"He loved to watch sports with his daddy and enjoyed playing with his brothers, especially rocking out to music," his obituary says. "He liked 'reading' books and coloring, as well as playing with cars, trains, and bubbles."
IKEA and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) are reviewing the tragic death, the Inquirer says.
McGee's death came seven months after an earlier warning from IKEA and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which urged consumers who owned certain dressers to anchor them to the wall, after the first two deaths were reported.
The Swedish furniture chain offered free wall-anchoring kits to anyone who had purchased the tip-prone furniture.
���Consumers should immediately stop using all IKEA children’s chests and dressers taller than 23 1/2 inches and adult chests and dressers taller than 29 1/2 inches, unless they are securely anchored to the wall. The free wall anchoring kit should be used to secure MALM and other IKEA chests and dressers to the wall,” the Consumer Product Safety Commission wrote in a July 2015 statement.
McGee's parents are considering legal action, the Star Tribune says.
Dangers of tipping furniture
Between 2000 and 2010, CPSC received 245 reports of furniture tipping over and killing children 8 years old and younger. In 56 percent of those incidents, the child was crushed by the weight of the object, with the majority suffering fatal injuries to the head, a CPSC report says.
The CPSC notes that falling furniture kills a child every two weeks and injures a child every 24 minutes, data show.