Two meningitis patients released from hospital; first suit over outbreak filed in MN - Bring Me The News

Two meningitis patients released from hospital; first suit over outbreak filed in MN

Two patients in Minnesota being treated for fungal meningitis are out of the hospital. The Minnesota Department of Health says the two women are now being treated on an outpatient basis. One woman in the state still remains hospitalized. Meanwhile, a woman from Savage filed the first lawsuit against the Massachusetts pharmacy linked to the outbreak.
Author:
Publish date:

Two patients in Minnesota being treated for fungal meningitis are out of the hospital, MPR News reports.The Minnesota Department of Health says the two women are now being treated on an outpatient basis. One woman in the state still remains hospitalized.

All three cases in Minnesota are linked to tainted injectable steroids manufactured by a Massachusetts pharmacy.

A woman from Savage filed the first lawsuit associated with the outbreak. The plaintiff is not among the three Minnesotans with confirmed cases of fungal meningitis, but she did receive multiple injections of the steroid. She's asking a federal court to clear the way for the case to become a class action lawsuit.

The CDC announced Thursday that 14 people have died in 170 cases across 11 states.

Next Up

Related

Fourth meningitis case linked to outbreak confirmed in Minn.

The Minnesota Department of Heath says a fourth case of fungal meningitis has been identified in the state. The patient is a woman in her 70s. Two other Minnesota women, both in their forties, with the infection were released from the hospital last week and are being treated on an outpatient basis.

Meningitis outbreak grows nationally, steady in Minnesota

Health officials have confirmed three cases of fungal meningitis in Minnesota, while hundreds of other patients who were injected with a recalled steroid are being tested. An executive with one of the clinics that dispensed the steroid says officials are reassuring patients while also arranging tests for those who need them. Nationwide, the death toll in the fungal meningitis outbreak has reached 11, with the number of cases over 100.

3rd Minnesotan hospitalized with meningitis tied to steroid injection

The Health Department now says three Minnesota women in their 40s are hospitalized with the rare form of fungal meningitis linked to injections of a steroid provided by a Massachusetts lab. That lab recalled all of its products over the weekend. Nationwide the outbreak includes more than 90 people, seven of whom have died.

2 Minnesota women linked to deadly meningitis outbreak

Doctors have diagnosed two Minnesota women, both in their 40s, with meningitis after they received injectable steroids from a Massachusetts pharmacy, the Minnesota Department of Health said in a news release Saturday. Officials expect to see more cases in the state as the nearly one thousand patients treated with the tainted products are notified.

MDH: 7 cases of fungal meningitis in Minnesota

The Minnesota Department of Health confirmed Wednesday two new cases of fungal meningitis linked to the national outbreak, increasing the number of patients diagnosed with the potentially deadly infection to seven statewide.

Meningitis fears flood Health Department

The Health Department has now contacted most of the Minnesotans who were injected with a recalled steroid linked to an outbreak of fungal meningitis. Many of them reported symptoms of meningitis, but the symptoms were mild and could have been caused by other factors. The state epidemiologist says the number of confirmed cases in Minnesota remains at three but could grow.