Update: 1 man dies after unattended candle sparks St. Paul fire

Author:
Publish date:

The St. Paul Fire Department confirmed a 25-year-old man has died after a house fire broke out from an unattended candle in St. Paul on Sunday morning, FOX 9 reports. An official cause of death has yet to be determined.

Seven young adults were inside the two-story home on Van Buren Avenue when the fire broke out around 5:45 a.m., FOX 9 says. Six people live in the home and one person was visiting for one of the housemate's 21st birthday party, according to the Pioneer Press.

Six people escaped the fire, including two people who jumped from a second-story porch, reports say. The deceased victim was found unconscious inside the house and was taken to Regions Hospital, according to media reports. One man, who turns 21 on Sunday, was also taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. He's listed in stable condition, according to the Pioneer Press.

“All I saw was fire coming from my roommate’s doorway, and, yeah, I just got out,” Jake Foster, 22, who escaped the fire, told WCCO. “I looked out my back window to see if there was a better option to jump or to run out, but I got out here and my roommates were in the process of jumping off the roof because the fire was coming through their room at that point.”

"We were watching the sun come up and the house go down," one housemate, Lee Mintz, 20, told the Pioneer Press.

Fire officials said the fire was caused by an unattended candle in a second-floor bedroom, the Star Tribune said. The house only had one smoke alarm, media reports say.

There is fire and smoke damage to the entire house, fire officials said, and the fire also damaged a house to the west of it, the Pioneer Press says. The Red Cross is assisting the residents who were affected by the fire.

Next Up

Related