Unattended cooking causes fire fatality

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A St. Paul man is dead after his kitchen caught fire early this morning. KARE 11 reports food was was cooking in the kitchen when the fire started.

St. Paul Firefighters were called to the duplex on the 1900 block of Upper Afton Rd. after neighbors reported seeing smoke. They found an unresponsive man in a rear bedroom. He was taken to Regions Hospital where he died from his injuries.

Fire officials say unattended cooking--the leading cause of building fires--is the cause.

This is the first fatal fire in St. Paul this year.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.21.00 AM

Updates on Minnesotans bidding for spots at the Summer Olympics

St. Paul's Suni Lee could qualify for the U.S. gymnastics team this week.

golf cart

Federal charges: Minnesota man stole 63 golf carts in 7 states

Nathan Rodney Nelson has been federally charged with transportation of stolen vehicles across state lines.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.11.05 AM

1 dead, 1 wounded in separate St. Cloud shootings

It was one of two shootings that happened overnight in the city.

Byron Buxton

Buxton, Kepler lead Twins to weekend sweep over Rangers

Kenta Maeda's solid outing on the mound gave the Twins a 4-2 victory.

storm, severe weather

Severe thunderstorm watch issued for south Minnesota, tornadoes possible

The watch area is just to the south of the Twin Cities.

ambulance

10 injured when minivans collide, overturn in west-central Minnesota

The incident occurred at the intersection of County Road 1 and County Road 29 in Kandiyohi County.

William Carlson

Nearly 80 years later, Minnesotan honored for WWII heroism

He defended a sinking passenger ship from a U-boat.

ambulance, crash

Pedestrian fatally struck by driver in Brooklyn Park

The identity of the victim has not been released.

storm, severe weather, shelf cloud

Some storms could pack a punch Sunday afternoon

Widespread severe weather is not expected, but some storms could get feisty.

Related

Fire causes explosions at Mpls. plant

One firefighter was taken to a hospital Friday night at a three-alarm fire at a Minneapolis factory blaze that caused several explosions.

Cigarettes cause four fires in a week

Blazes in Mankato, Rochester, Hopkins and Minneapolis are being blamed on careless smoking. A 2008 law requires tobacco products to be wrapped with less flammable paper, but fire officials say that doesn't combat the risk from unattended cigarettes.