UPDATE: Stowaway 9-year-old's hearing set for Wednesday - Bring Me The News

UPDATE: Stowaway 9-year-old's hearing set for Wednesday

Author:
Publish date:

A court hearing in Hennepin County is now scheduled for Wednesday in the case of a 9-year-old boy who drew attention worldwide for sneaking onto a flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas earlier this month, the Star Tribune reports.

It was previously reported that the hearing was set for Tuesday, but officials now say it will be Wednesday. The hearing is designed to start the process of putting together a plan for the boy's care.

The boy's troubling adventure received widespread media attention given the ease with which the boy slipped by security checkpoints and gate agents and onto the Oct. 3 Delta flight.

Hennepin County Social Services filed a Child in Need of Protection or Services petition on Friday in the case. Officials said the child needs protection or services because he is a runaway and has committed a delinquent act before age 10.

The Star Tribune reported that the boy's mother said the boy has behavioral issues and has been seeing a therapist. However, according to the petition, the boy's last visit was on Aug. 13. In a media conference last week, the boy's father said his son was out of control and that he needed help.

Authorities had been keeping the boy in Nevada. But KARE 11 reported the boy was the last person to get off a Delta flight Saturday morning at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, although the Star Tribune reported Sunday that it was unclear if it was Saturday or Sunday that the boy returned.

The Hennepin County sheriffs office said officers were waiting for the boy to get off the plane upon its arrival, according to a WCCO report.

Next Up

Related