One of America's most-watched videos this week shows a 2-year-old Utah boy helping his twin brother get loose after a fallen piece of furniture had pinned him to the floor.
It shows one toddler, Bowdy Shoff, circling the dresser as he considers how to help his brother, Brock. Finally Bowdy nudges it enough to let Brock wiggle free.
KUTV reports both boys are fine and their mother, Kayli Shoff, tells the station she and her husband immediately set about bolting the dresser to the wall and also removed the handles to avoid a repeat of the incident.
The happy ending of this video helps make it popular, but the issue of furniture tipping over onto kids is one that strikes close to home for many families – including one in Apple Valley whose 22-month-old died last Valentine's Day in that kind of accident.
One death every 2 weeks
After the death of young Ted McGee in Apple Valley last year IKEA recalled 29 million of its MALM dressers last summer.
They also started a program that provides free kits that let anyone who owns one of the dressers mount it to a wall.
McGee's death was the third time a toddler had been killed by one of IKEA's dressers tipping over on them. The company said last month it's paying $50 million to those families to settle a wrongful death lawsuit.
The tipover hazard is not unique to IKEA furniture, though. One safety advocacy group says 25,000 American children per year visit the emergency room with tipover injuries. Safe and Sound says once every two weeks a child dies in such an accident.
The group says television mounts and furniture straps should be standard equipment for childproofing a home – much like a toddler gate or electrical socket cover.