Video: Officials say Prince did not receive Narcan, suicide not suspected


One day after Prince was found dead in his Paisley Park elevator, shaking the Twin Cities and people across the globe, and there are a lot of questions left unanswered.

Local and international news reporters filled the Carver County Government Center Friday afternoon as the county sheriff, a spokesperson for the medical examiner and Chanhassen Mayor Danny Laufenburger held a news conference to answer what they could.

About Prince's death

Prince was last seen alive around 8 p.m. Wednesday when he was dropped off at his residence, officials say.

Then Thursday morning, staff workers tried unsuccessfully to reach the singer. So they went to his residence and discovered Prince unresponsive in an elevator.

Sheriff Jim Olson says they were called to the complex around 9:43 a.m. and they found the musician in the elevator on the first floor.

Responders attempted CPR, but were not able to revive him.

Prince was pronounced dead at 10:07 a.m.

The sheriff says responders did not use Narcan, a drug used to reverse opiate overdoses.

Olson also says that there were no "visible signs of trauma" on Prince's body and that there is no reason to believe that his death was a suicide.

Officials believe he was alone in the residence when he died.

The autopsy

Prince's body was taken to the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy.

The autopsy started at 9 a.m. on Friday and took four hours, according to the examiner.

The exam also considers medical and family history, and other information the examiner believes is necessary for a complete report. Gathering that information could take several days.

Additionally, a toxicology scan will be performed, and that could take weeks.

Following the autopsy, the examiner says Prince's body has been released to his family.

The investigation

Carver County will continue to investigate the Purple One's death over the next few weeks, or however long it takes for all the information to be collected.

The sheriff says there are several detectives and at least three agencies working on this case.

Officials say they'll continue to interview people who were close to Prince, as well as determine the musician's medical history.

Investigators will be looking to see exactly when Prince died, and what the cause was.

Check out the press conference below:

This embed is invalid

Next Up