Watch: State Patrol rescues canoers missing 4 days in the Boundary Waters

Here's the rescue footage.

Two canoers were rescued earlier this weekend after they got lost in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

The State Patrol shared the rescue story on Facebook, saying crews used heat-seeking equipment to locate the man and woman near Oyster Lake early Friday morning. It was about 1 a.m. and very dark, but the pair used flashlights and wrote "SOS" in the sand to help get the air crew's attention.

Check out the rescue footage:

Charles Kelly, 66, of Brooklyn Park and Pamela Scaia, 65, of New Hope were on a canoe trip that was supposed to return May 29, the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office said. A search by land, air and water began after they were reported missing Tuesday. It was originally thought that there were three canoeists.

After spotting them from the sky, the State Patrol directed the Minnesota Army National Guard to the location and the paddlers were safely rescued. Both were uninjured, but taken to Ely Hospital as a precautionary measure.

It's lucky they were found – the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is huge, and many areas don't have cell phone coverage. The BWCAW is over a million acres in size, and contains over 1,200 miles of canoe routes, according to the Department of Agriculture.

Next Up


Rescue in the wilderness: Man saves friend in Boundary Waters

Scott Pirsig and Bob Sturtz are 50-something pals who set off on a getaway in the woods of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. But the trip took a dark turn when Sturtz had a stroke and Pirsig made the wrenching decision to leave his friend and go for help. The Albert Lea Tribune has the story about a dramatic rescue – and friendship.

Wildfires continue to burn in Boundary Waters

Officials Saturday were still fighting two small fires by air and ground in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, as well as a 500-acre blaze burning just across the Canadian border. Canadian crews are attacking a "very active" fire known as Fort Frances No. 59, the Duluth News Tribune reports.