Updated:
Original:

Expect a wet, possibly slippery morning commute

Author:

The rain is expected to make for a wet and possibly slippery commute Monday morning in the Twin Cities as we kick off what's forecasted to be a soggy week.

Several rounds of heavy rainfall are expected Monday, with the possibility of thunderstorms in the southern part of the state, the National Weather Service says, while northern Minnesota – especially the Duluth area – will likely see freezing rain.

The heavy rainfall, which is expected to continue throughout the metro area Monday, could cause some smaller creeks and rivers to rise and create some spot flooding, KSTP reports, but major rivers are not expected to flood. The Pioneer Press reports that 1 to 4 inches of rain is expected to fall in the metro by Thursday.

The rest of the week doesn't look much better.

Here's the forecast for around the state:

Twin Cities: Monday: Showers with a high near 45. Wind gusts could reach 30 mph. One to 2 inches of rain possible. Tuesday: Rain with a high near 40. Wednesday: Rain and snow likely, becoming all rain after 9 a.m. Little or no snow accumulation expected. Thursday: A 40 percent chance of rain, high near 50. Friday: A 40 percent chance of rain, high near 50. Saturday: A 20 percent chance of rain, high near 55. Sunday: Partly sunny, 30 percent chance of rain. A high near 53.

Duluth: Monday: Rain or freezing rain, which will become all rain after 2 p.m., high near 36 and windy. Tuesday: Snow and freezing rain likely before 10 a.m., then snow – 2 to 4 inches of snow is possible. High near 36 and breezy. Wednesday: Rain, snow and sleet before 1 p.m., then rain and snow likely. Thursday: Chance of rain and snow before 1 p.m., then rain, high near 42. Friday: A chance of rain and snow, high near 45. Saturday: Slight chance of rain, high near 50. Sunday: A chance of rain, high near 48.

Moorhead: Monday: Rain, high near 43 and breezy. Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of rain before 1 p.m., high near 48. Wednesday: Rain and snow likely, becoming all rain after 9 a.m. High near 45. Thursday: A 30 percent chance of rain, high near 50 and breezy. Friday: A slight chance of showers, high near 52. Saturday: A slight chance of rain showers, high near 54. Sunday: A chance of rain showers, mostly sunny with a high near 52.

Rochester: Monday: Periods of showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 1 p.m., then showers likely. High near 47 and breezy. Tuesday: Periods of showers, high near 44 and breezy. Wednesday: A 50 percent chance of showers, high near 47. Thursday: A 50 percent chance of showers, high near 49. Friday: A 40 percent chance of showers, high near 51. Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers, partly sunny with a high near 56. Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a high near 54.

Next Up

Joel Eriksson Ek

Eriksson Ek's hat trick completes Wild's rally over Jets

A late review helped the Wild win their home opener.

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 8.11.35 PM

Watch: Marcus Foligno starts fight with a superman punch

Foligno was not messing around in the first period.

Union Gospel Mission graffiti side by side - Duluth PD

Vandals target longstanding Duluth soup kitchen, transitional housing site

Union Gospel Mission has been operating in the city since 1922.

i-94 crash st. michael - 2021.10.19

At least 1 dead after 'serious crash' on I-94 in St. Michael

That side of the highway is expected to be closed for at least a few hours.

House for sale

The crazy Twin Cities housing market is showing signs of slowing down

Agents are seeing fewer multiple offers and no inspections are less prevalent.

Ben Simmons

Simmons' reunion with 76ers lasts mere days, chance for Wolves?

Woj says the Sixers remain "steadfast" in their plans for Simmons.

mitchell ottinger

Sub teacher involved in 'sextortion' of more than 10 minors pleads guilty

Some of the minors he knew from the school district where he worked.

flickr ice castles new brighton 2020 - Greg Gjerdingen

The Ice Castles, a winter favorite, are coming back to the Twin Cities

The popular attraction was canceled last winter due to COVID.

joey meatballs

4 new vendors coming to Rosedale's POTLUCK food hall

Three restaurants and a VR company are opening soon.

flickr - Lorie Shaull - Line 3 pipeline Palisade July 2021

Enbridge misses deadline to fix its groundwater blunder

The company had 30 days to stop the leak it caused by not following its submitted plans.

wikimedia commons - the beach boys 2019 - joergens.mi

Beach Boys bringing 2021 holiday tour to Minnesota

The iconic band's "Holiday Harmonies" tour stops at Treasure Island just before the new year.

Related