Skip to main content

Hail reported in southern Minnesota; severe weather possible Thursday

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Wet, warm weather is coming for much of Minnesota, bringing a chance of severe weather.

Hail was reported early Wednesday morning in southern Minnesota, and wind, hail and tornadoes are possible Thursday, forecasters say.

Welcome to May.

As of Wednesday morning, Dodge, Mower and Olmsted counties were facing a severe thunderstorm warning, WCCO's Mike Augustyniak tweeted.

There were reports Wednesday of hail between Owatonna and Albert Lea, as KARE 11's Belinda Jensen points out.

It could actually get worse throughout the day, the Twins Cities' National Weather Service office says.

Thursday's Forecast

Nearly the entire state is expected to get rain in the next 24-48 hours, with scattered storms throughout Minnesota Wednesday before a full-on downpour with the potential for severe weather Thursday. Meanwhile, the southern half of the state should see temps well into the 70s Thursday.

Here's a number we haven't seen lately: 80. The temperature could reach that milestone Thursday in the metro, KARE 11 reports.

The storm, KSTP's Dave Dahl explains, is expected to pick up steam as it moves into southern Minnesota Thursday. And those warmer temperatures, combined with a "large amount of spin in the atmosphere," could produce some tornadoes (though the risk isn't too high). Dahl says the greatest chance for severe weather will be between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Thursday.

Accuweather says a band of bad weather stretching from central Texas, to Nebraska, and up into southern Minnesota will begin Wednesday night.

"Thursday's severe weather outbreak will yield numerous thunderstorms capable of producing dangerous weather ranging from frequent lightning strikes and damaging winds to large hail and flooding downpours," Accuweather says. "A small number of the storms can also produce tornadoes."

Though the prediction does say the atmospheric conditions aren't favorable for a "major tornado outbreak" like last week.

In the northland, expect plenty of rain just like the rest of the state. But it will be a bit chillier – temps likely won't reach 60 on Thursday.

Here's a quick look at the chance of thunderstorms around the state, along with Thursday's high.

Forecast

Bemidji – 70 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night; 80 percent chance all Thursday; high 58

Duluth – 80 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night; 90 percent chance all Thursday; high 48

Hibbing – 80 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night all through Thursday night; high 58

Marshall – 40 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night; 50 percent Thursday, 60 percent Thursday night; high 73

Moorhead70 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night; 80 percent all Thursday; high 56

Rochester – 20 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night; jumps to 90 percent chance all Thursday; high 75

Twin Cities – 70 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night; 70 percent all Thursday; high 76

Waseca – 30 percent chance of thunderstorms Wednesday night; 70 percent Thursday then 60 percent Thursday night; high 77

Next Up

image

Animal Humane Society plans trailblazing new campus

Take a look inside the plans for a first-of-its-kind adoption center and animal care campus.

syphilis

Minnesota reports 'concerning level' of syphilis cases

The Minnesota Department of Health says most of the cases are being discovered in the northern part of the state.

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Airport police intercept 5,600 fentanyl pills headed to St. Cloud

Three were arrested following a police raid in St. Cloud.

covid

Minnesota switches to weekly COVID updates

The weekly updates will be provided on Thursdays.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 12.22.08 PM

Man shot inside Oakdale movie theater expected to survive

The 23-year-old victim underwent surgery and is recovering at the hospital.

monkeypox

Minnesota confirms second case of monkeypox virus

More cases are expected in the coming days and weeks, the health department says.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Wednesday, June 29

One of the newly reported deaths was a person aged 15-19 from Yellow Medicine County.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 10.19.37 AM

Drone drops bag of candy near kids fishing

A black SUV quickly left the area afterwards.

FLickr - AL Franken 2016 - Lorie Shaull

Al Franken to bring comedy tour to Minneapolis

Acme Comedy is hosting the former senator in late August.

Alabama

Alabama replaces Toby Keith as headliner at MN music festival

The Lakefront Music Festival is set to take place in Prior Lake on July 8-9.

Related

Strong tornadoes, very large hail possible in southern Minnesota

Some really nasty storms could develop around dinner time Tuesday.