Danny Heinrich, the man named as a "person of interest" in Jacob Wetterling's disappearance, will appear in court Wednesday.
KARE 11 reports Heinrich's lawyers have filed a motion to change the venue for the 53-year-old's trial on 25 child pornography charges out of Minneapolis.
The TV station says this will be the first test of federal and state prosecutors decision to name Heinrich in relation to the Wetterling case while at the same time pursuing child pornography charges, with his lawyers saying that any jury will be prejudiced against him because he's been linked to the abduction of the 11-year-old St. Joseph boy in 1989.
Heinrich has not been charged with any crime relating to the Wetterling abduction.
The Star Tribune says Heinrich's attorneys are also asking the court to throw out four statements he made to investigators during his arrest, as well as "evidence seized during the search of his home in July."
The newspaper notes prosecutors will argue the statements they took from Heinrich are admissible, and that the search warrant for Heinrich's home – which was issued to find evidence relating to the Wetterling case, only to find child pornography – was also valid.
When the motion was first filed on Heinrich's behalf earlier this month, attorney Joe Tamburino told WCCO that requests to move federal trial are rarely successful.
The TV station also reported Heinrich's defense team is asking that evidence from any other case not be introduced during the trial.
As well as the Wetterling abduction, Heinrich has been linked to the kidnap and sexual assault of Jared Scheierl from Cold Spring also in 1989.
DNA evidence found on clothing belonging to Scheierl, who was 12 at the time, was matched to Heinrich, but no charges were brought as the statute of limitations for the crime has expired.