Updated:
Original:

Time to build an ark? It's the 2nd-wettest April on record

Author:

The rain, wind and below-average temperatures continue for a third day Tuesday – and with it, a bit of snow mixed in.

The Twin Cities have seen just over 6 inches of rain this month, which brings this month to the second-wettest April on record (the record is 7 inches).

Here's a look at rain totals from the last three days (click the image to enlarge):

Here's a sampling of rain totals from the last 72 hours, according to the National Weather Service:

– Columbia Heights, Hennepin County: 3.87 inches
– North St. Paul, Ramsey County: 4.97 inches
– Red Wing, Goodhue County: 1.40 inches
– Faribault, Rice County: 2.99 inches

For up-to-date rain totals for specific areas, the National Weather Service has an interactive map. The Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network also details precipitation totals in a searchable chart.

All of this rain has been a headache for homeowners, blowing down trees and knocking out power in the Duluth area, flooding streets in the Twin Cities and flooding basements after sump pump failures.

FOX 9 has photos of flooding that closed Theodore Wirth Parkway in Minneapolis.

This windy and wet weather trend is expected to continue through the rest of the week. The National Weather Service says light rain will be mixed with snow at times in central and southern Minnesota through Wednesday, but then precipitation will become more scattered Wednesday night and Thursday. We may even see some sun late Thursday afternoon and Friday in the western part of the state.

Temperatures are expected to remain on the cool side, in the 40s and get up to the 50s by the weekend, the weather service notes.


There are some flood warnings and watches currently in effect for parts of the state, especially on the Minnesota-North Dakota border, but, as of Monday, there was no risk for serious river flooding, according to the Star Tribune.

Nationwide, one-third of the country was under a severe weather threat Tuesday, CNN reports. People from the Great Lakes to the Gulf Coast, and from the Midwest to the East Coast, were advised to keep eyes to the sky and ears to the radio, CNN said.

Here's a look at the forecast:

Twin Cities: Tuesday: Rain, high near 39 with wind gusts as high as 25 mph. About .25 inches of rain is possible during the day. Rain will change to snow overnight, with snow accumulation totaling less than a half inch. Wednesday: Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 8 a.m. High near 45. Rain likely overnight. Thursday: There's a 50 percent chance of rain with a high near 49. Friday: A 30 percent chance of rain, mostly cloudy with a high near 54. Saturday: A 20 percent chance of rain, mostly sunny, with a high near 54. Sunday: A 30 percent chance of rain, partly sunny with a high near 53.

Duluth: Tuesday: Snow before 4 p.m., then rain with a high near 40. Windy, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Less than 1 inch of snow expected. Overnight rain and snow could mix and could add 1 to 3 inches of snow to the ground. Wednesday: Snow before 10 a.m., then rain and snow with a high near 40. An additional inch of snow is possible. Thursday: Rain and snow likely, becoming all rain after 1 p.m., a high near 42. Friday: A chance of rain and snow before 1 p.m., then rain, high near 47. Saturday: Slight chance of rain, partly sunny with a nigh near 50. Sunday: Slight chance of rain, mostly sunny, with a high near 48.

Moorhead: Tuesday: A slight chance of rain and snow before 9 a.m., partly sunny with a high near 50. Wednesday: Rain and snow likely, becoming all rain after 9 a.m. Cloudy, with a high near 45. Thursday: A 20 percent chance of rain before 1 p.m., a high near 52 and breezy. Friday: A chance of rain and snow before 7 a.m., then rain. Partly sunny with a high near 54. Saturday: Slight chance of rain, partly sunny with a high near 54. Sunday: Mostly sunny with a high near 53.

Winona: Tuesday: Periods of showers, high near 44. Wednesday: Periods of showers, high near 47. Thursday: Showers likely, high near 49. Friday: A 40 percent chance of showers, high near 53. Saturday: Partly sunny, high near 56. Sunday: Partly sunny, high near 55.

Did you notice the dust or dirt left on your vehicle by the rain Monday? The National Weather Service said the path of the low level air that came to Minnesota started out in north Texas, and traveled through Oklahoma and Kansas. That area is currently experiencing a drought and dust storms have been common. The weather service said it's likely the dust was carried north and fell to the ground with the rain.

Next Up

Joel Eriksson Ek

Eriksson Ek's hat trick completes Wild's rally over Jets

A late review helped the Wild win their home opener.

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 8.11.35 PM

Watch: Marcus Foligno starts fight with a superman punch

Foligno was not messing around in the first period.

Union Gospel Mission graffiti side by side - Duluth PD

Vandals target longstanding Duluth soup kitchen, transitional housing site

Union Gospel Mission has been operating in the city since 1922.

i-94 crash st. michael - 2021.10.19

At least 1 dead after 'serious crash' on I-94 in St. Michael

That side of the highway is expected to be closed for at least a few hours.

House for sale

The crazy Twin Cities housing market is showing signs of slowing down

Agents are seeing fewer multiple offers and no inspections are less prevalent.

Ben Simmons

Simmons' reunion with 76ers lasts mere days, chance for Wolves?

Woj says the Sixers remain "steadfast" in their plans for Simmons.

mitchell ottinger

Sub teacher involved in 'sextortion' of more than 10 minors pleads guilty

Some of the minors he knew from the school district where he worked.

flickr ice castles new brighton 2020 - Greg Gjerdingen

The Ice Castles, a winter favorite, are coming back to the Twin Cities

The popular attraction was canceled last winter due to COVID.

joey meatballs

4 new vendors coming to Rosedale's POTLUCK food hall

Three restaurants and a VR company are opening soon.

flickr - Lorie Shaull - Line 3 pipeline Palisade July 2021

Enbridge misses deadline to fix its groundwater blunder

The company had 30 days to stop the leak it caused by not following its submitted plans.

wikimedia commons - the beach boys 2019 - joergens.mi

Beach Boys bringing 2021 holiday tour to Minnesota

The iconic band's "Holiday Harmonies" tour stops at Treasure Island just before the new year.

Related

Small town sets Minnesota record for wettest year ever recorded

Waseca's record was shattered by nearly four inches.

2016 was America's 2nd warmest year on record, 2nd wettest in MN

The contiguous U.S.A had its second warmest year in 122 years of record-keeping.