Woman accused of kidnapping Minneapolis infant is charged - Bring Me The News

Woman accused of kidnapping Minneapolis infant is charged

Author:
Publish date:

The woman accused of taking an infant from a Minneapolis apartment, prompting an Amber Alert to be issued, has been charged.

Isabel Diaz-Castillo, 30, is charged with kidnapping after taking off with 8-month-old Carlos Orozco Wednesday, the Star Tribune reports.

According to the criminal complaint, Diaz-Castillo and the boy's mother, Vicky Orozco, met about a month ago at a laundromat. Orozco says Diaz-Castillo took "an extreme interest" in the child.

Diaz-Castillo confided in Orozco that she had a miscarriage in the past few months.

When police tracked down Diaz-Castillo Wednesday afternoon, the complaint says officers had to force baby Carlos from her arms as she screamed, "That's my baby!"

The Associated Press noted that Diaz-Castillo's sister-in-law told police that when Diaz-Castillo showed up Wednesday with the child, she said it was a son she had been trying to bring back from Mexico.

After four hours of searching, Orozco was reunited with her son. The complaint states that Orozco also noticed the boy’s hair had been cut.

Diaz-Castillo is scheduled to make her first court appearance on Monday.

Investigators believe Diaz-Castillo may be in the country illegally and an immigration detainer has been placed on her by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Diaz-Castillo is currently in custody at the Hennepin County Jail. Bail has been set at $100,000.

Related

Next Up